RCBS Pro-2000 Press Info

Ian M

Anyone who owns an RCBS Pro-2000 progressive reloading press should be aware of the following situation. Either a spent or unfired primer can get inside the top plate of the APS priming system, partially blocking the movement of the advancement mechanism. Even more significant is the fact that the primer will also cause miss-alignment of priming parts so that excessive pressure is excerted (on the down-stroke) on the vertical camming post (the shiny plated attachment on the right side of the press). Result is that the post breaks away from the press and the APS system will no longer advance. This situation recently happened with my press.

RCBS quickly replaced the broken part and even suggested what might have been the cause. I carefully diss-assembled the top deck and found an unfired primer that was the culprit as they suggested. Easy fix and the press is working fine again. The top deck is easy to open up, just take out a few screws.

If you own such a press, don't over-excert during the down stroke if you feel un-usual resistance. Best to stop and manually check if the APS is operating properly - that the advance mechanism is traveling horizontally as it should.
ian

I have noticed the same problem. I removed the primer drop tube and used a fordom to bevel the opening just a little more. I haven't had that problem since.
Vince

Vince,
Perhaps we are talking about different models of RCBS presses as the one I had the problem with uses flat plastic strips to contain the primers rather than a priming tube. The strips hold 20-odd primers and move horizontally across the priming system. Great system when it is working but now I know that I must watch out for the primer-jamming problem.
ian

Sorry, I read to fast. I was talking about the spent primer tube. You may want to watch that too.
Vince

Vince,
I will check the spent primer tube fit, as a matter of fact I was told by RCBS that spent primers are the main culprit with the APS jamming. I am sure you are correct that it is another potential trouble spot. If you have some spare time I would suggest that you take both plastic top plates off your press so that you can see how they go together. It is fairly straight-forward and should definitely be included in the instruction manual - but isn't. By top plates I don't mean the portion with the shell holders that indexes, go for the plate under it with a half-moon shape and also the top plate of the APS system - each is held in place by three capscrews. Fortunately there isn't any small parts or springs to fly off and the two plates go back in place easily. I am going to check under the APS plate regularly as a surprising amount of powder had accumulated under it, as well as the live primer - could have made a small fire if the primer had let go.
I had powder going everywhere when I set the press up, a bunch got into the APS system but you cannot see it or check for it without removing the top plate.
ian

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.