rcbs electronic powder trickler

I have one... I love it too. I'll never go back to the beam either.
wink.gif
I still use the beam, but for short jobs when I don't have the twenty minutes to warm up the scale, which ain't too often.
smile.gif

I have one and also the electronic dispenser, agee with Brent - too impatient to wait for the **** scale to warm-up or whatever (if a mosquito farts the scale goes goofy - fussy **** thing). I usually check about every 50th on a 30 year old 10-10, all the fancy electronic stuff sits on a shelf.
When it is warmed-up the electronic stuff works very well - throw a charge a grain or so short, put it on the scale and push a button. About the time you have seated a bullet the next charge should be ready.

Chad, did you mean the trickler or the dispensor? I thought you meant the dispensor, that's what I have. My dad has a trickler for his, but after using it myself, it's not exactly what I thought it was going to be... the dispensor is worht the cash to me, and much better than the trickler... which is now a discontinued item.

Funny thing Ian, the RCBS PPro scale I got for my dad, it doesn't ever seem to need calibration, wt. doesn't wander upward when warming up or nothing... mine needs it every single time. I always calibrate his when I use it anyway, just in the habbit I guess.

Like Ian, I set my Redding dispensor to drop about a grain less than the dispensor is set to trickle up to, pour it in the pan and hit dispense. When I'm done seating a bullet it's done too.

The dispensor dumps a little slow for me to use it to dispense the whole charge wt, if you're using it on cases smaller than 308win it should work better that way. Even with the 308win using stick powder's too slow for my rate of loading. Get up to the 416wby and HAHAHA! Now way I'm waitin on it for that one.... ever.
grin.gif

If you wanted to size a case and prep it completely while dispensing the whole load on the RCBS, well, it would work fine that way. I just do it differently though.
wink.gif

They really do work nice, I recommend them.

I recently purchased the Lyman 1200, I have loaded and shot a couple hundred rds. So far the velocity is at most 25-40 FPS different through a chronograph. I checked 150 charges on a balance scale, they were right on. I would recomend one of them to anyone.
grin.gif

Da Grizz,

What powder are you using in it?

I wonder how fast it'll dump 120gr of RL25 is why.

No calibration needed with it when changing powders I hear?

My buddy was going to get one but backed out when he lost his job.

I know my opinion is different on powder dispensers but I will give it anyway. Somethings you do first class and others can be done cheaper. Knowing what I know now, I think a high dollar unit is not needed. I do agree a digital unit is needed but no more than that. I always arrange for slightly MORE powder to drop and pinch out (and let some fall back in) to hit my no exactly and I weight EVERY charge. Going under and trickling whether automatic or manual is too slow.

I have a Bruno and it is very accurate but I still go over and pinch out.

i'm with Randy. i have a press here and at my parents, with mixed equipment at both. currently the dispenser is there, and it doesnt affect my progress at all. i just dump a bunch of powder on the scale to hit close to my mark, then trickle or pinch a grain or two to hit my exact number and i weigh every single round i load. i'm willing to bet i'm just as efficient as any electronic trickler. to me, theres other equipent i'd rather waste- i mean SPEND, my money on.

I am looking into a combo scale/powder dispenser. The new Lyman 1200 looks nice, but I think that having the two units seperate might have some advantages.

What are all of your opinions on these scales?

Nimbo,

I like the RCBS/PACT dispensor alot. Tipping it upside down and apping on it to change the powder out is not something I'd like to be doing with my sensitive scale. Maybe Lyman has another provision for changing out powders, I'm not sure. I'd like to see the Lyman while working though.

Just got one. Talk about savin Time. (never mind about the worm up time) ( thats when I eat)When ya sit down and putem togeather it goes so fast. Hit dispence, Decap, wipe brass, measure brass. prime. dump in powder, hit dispence seat bullet and put it in the case and your ready for the next one. No more fussen with a hand tricler. Whoo Hooo!
grin.gif

I purchased the Lyman 1200 about a month ago, and so far it has worked brilliantly! I have checked it several time against my other scales, and it has always been dead nuts.

Brent,

Don't know how long it would take to run 125 grains of RL25, but 103 grains of RL25 that I load in my Warbird, takes about 50 seconds from start to finish.

KK

Thanks Kirk. It sound comparable to the RCBS/PACT unit.

How is it for emptying powder out of it, do you have to flip the scale and everything upsidedown to pour it back in the can?

Brent,

It's really very easy. There is a door on the back with a fold down ramp. Once you have the majority removed through this door, you remove the tray and finish the rest. Takes two minutes.

KK

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.