RCBS Build up in Neck area

7stw

Guys, don't know if rcbs has changed their metallurgy, but I get a build up, in the neck area, that leaves scratches in the neck. If I pull the recapping stem, and ferrel, I take a bore brush, insert into die body, and apply brake clean, or bore cleaner, and spin it up. It cleans up, but returns pretty quick. Anybody seeing this, or have a better cure? Pretty annoying! I've always used imperial, or Hornady wax lube. Never had this problem before!
Thoughts?
Thanks!

The neck-shoulder junction of the die may have a sharp edge or burs that needs polishing.

First take a strong copper bore cleaner and remove any brass sticking to the inside of the die. And when I say strong bore cleaner I mean one the curls your nose hairs and makes your eyes water if you sniff it.

Second, take a drill and a snug fitting shotgun cleaning mop and some J&B Bore paste, automotive rubbing compound, Mothers Mag and Wheel polish, etc and polish the inside of the die. You can use this same method if you are getting scratches on the case body. Midway was selling J&B bore paste and Kroil as a package deal for bore cleaning. And when used together it will also help polish your dies when applied to a bore mop.

This is a common problem with sizing dies that are not polished properly at the factory. And if you Google case neck scratches you will find postings and photos of this problem.

NOTE, if you want to remove any surface corrosion and polish your dies you can use the method below.

If you have a vibratory tumbler and some treated walnut media this will clean and polish the dies. Remove the lock ring and expander assembly and let the die body tumble overnight. Your dies will come out looking better than new and just remember to clean the inside of the die of any polishing compound.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts