Rant about gunsmiths

My grandfather then my dad have built all of the custom rifles I have owned. My dad's health has now put an end to his shop work. I tried a few people with small jobs. One I paid up front for a bedding job and a stock 7 months later I picked up my rifle that had never been touched because the index marks I put on the action screws showed they hadn't been touched. He claimed the stock he got in wasn't what he ordered and then refused to return any of the money I had paid him. 2nd smith suggested a 10tw 7mm mag so didn't bother after that statement. Lastly is the younger guy I met a few months ago. I had him shorten a 308 put on a timed brake and pin the recoil lug so I can use it as a switch barrel. The rifle was done the following afternoon. The brake was larger than the barrel and I wanted the full size of the brake so he tapered the brake and it came out great.
He also cleaned up my chamber and set the barrel back 1 thread after he ground flat the lug. This wasn't asked for but greatly appreciated. All for the agreed price. I think I found my new smith to say the least

I often buy a LOT of stuff on Black Friday.
Action ARC and Zermatt/Bighorn/ or a Savage
Trigger Tech trigger, Diamond
KRG Bravo
Shilen or Mcgowen or your choice barrel
Optics, I have come to like the Arken for my use
Midway gives me B day deal usually for any extras.

I can usually save I would guess 15-20%, maybe a little more if I am lucky.

I have done a couple of these in the past few years.
I will sell two of my old rifles to upgrade to one. I feel I have made a good trade off for the long run.

My prefit barrel usually depends on groove and twist I want with what ever chambering I am after.

Having a lathe and a mill won't save you a dime either, I have both. I just don't trust myself at this point, I will pay others for their knowledge and still save $$$$

When I was putting together my infamous .270TH, I ran into a multitude of problems. Couldn't get barrel off even with 4' cheater bar. Called a smith that did work for me on a Ruger #1. He is a gentlemen of highest regard. He reminds me of J E Custom in many ways. He told me to bring it to him and he will give it a go. He knows I am retired so he told me to hang there so he can do it while I wait. I never expected that since he was in a build. And yes, he builds rifles not assembles them. He machines what he needs and is a craftsman. So he pops barrel after hitting with torch and using heavy barrel vise. So I asked him to true action and he said sure but it will be a while. Three weeks later, get call its done, gorgeous! Completely redone beautiful blueing. The extractor also needed replacement. Had to heat treat to get it to correct temper so it would work as designed.

What he charged was not what I expected. The heat treat alone is ton of labor. So I paid plus a nice extra.

So here is my question, you tip for the simplest of services provided.

Do you even consider giving your smith recognition of his work by giving him a financial reward? Heck, you tip your outfitter for their services, seems only right a smith, a craftsman whose work you will use with pride should get similar recognition. And no IMO, the cost of the work is not the determining factor. If that was case, you would never tip your outfitter.

If your over 40 you came of age in a world wh were everybody and their brother had some old guy they new who worked on guns. In the small town where I went to high school there were more than a few. One did mostly barrels, another did cowboy action work. There were more than a few old guys who could tune up or re do just about anything you could find. Most were semi retired from various trades or manufacturing jobs where they acquired the skills that translated over.

Those jobs were offshore when I was a kid, so the that entire workforce is a small percentage of what it once was. I'm on the older end of millennial and under 40 for a little while longer, there wasn't a single high school guidance counselor telling anyone to go into the trades. Sadly they were sorta right. It's only recently where trades made a decent living. My job is harvesting protein, and fixing the machines that do it. For most my adult life I'd make substially more money in a middle management position at some tech firm spending my days talking about diversity. Needless to say there is no longer a surplus of skilled tradesman to keel prices low. Quite the opposite actually.

Long and short of it, right now there is a shocking need for skilled labor. If your in industry the price of a diesel mechanic, hydraulic guy, or fabricator (heck even a welder) had gone nuts as there just aren't many 20 year olds running around working in the dirt. Those jobs compete directly with Smith work, so costs are gonna go up accordingly. Selectivity of process will also follow, if you have a line out the door and down the block why bother with something that could be a pain in the rear.

I'm just grateful there are still guys doing the work, even if it means shipping my parts all around the country to have it done.

What you said could easily contradict itself… "acquire parts overtime, I can't out of the blue drop 4-5k on a full custom".
Instead of buying parts overtime, save that purchase in a "build fund". Instead of buying a $600 barrel on day one, put that $600 aside. 6mnths down the road, instead of buying that $800 stock, put that $800 aside with the $600 already set aside. 6 months later, instead of buying that $1,200 action, set that $1,200 aside with the already saved up $1,400…. You see where I'm going with this…..

But…. On the flip side (And this will turn me into somewhat of a hypocrite), I have had customs made both ways. I have sourced some parts (not all) had a custom built and I have let the smith source all the parts for a custom build. Both were great experiences for me.

Based on what you have said. It's hard to determine why the smith didn't want to work with you. We may only know if the actual smith chimed in. Your tone of voice has a defensiveness to it, maybe it was off putting in the conversations and he didn't want to do the work. I build custom fishing rods and have refused work for this reason.
I'd agree with you except for inflation….at the rate things are going now a 4-5k rifle might be 6-7k in a year!

Go to https://www.longriflesinc.com/ use their online store… order the services you want and ship them your parts with the provided order number at check out. Once received they will call and review your order then build. Chad Dixon is the man. You will not be disappointed.

They have fantastic progress tracking and turnaround.

Go to https://www.longriflesinc.com/ use their online store… order the services you want and ship them your parts with the provided order number at check out. Once received they will call and review your order then build. Chad Dixon is the man. You will not be disappointed.
Just got my 6 mm Comp Match back. Shoots BugHoles with 109s

While I am in a different country if you have a solid knowledge base and talk to a gunsmith in the right manner nine times out of ten you get what you need my gunsmith for example here in Australia is one of the best accuracy Smiths .
he loves working on custom actions yet I can roll up there with a Remington SPS , match grade barrel oversize recoil lug stock blah blah blah he's happy to do work because I know what to expect from him and he knows what to expect from me.

I assume everyone here wants to retire someday. So does the smith. His job doesn't have a 401k, health insurance, sick leave, maternity leave, time off for grievance if a loved one dies, let alone a pension fund. Should I go on?

Life is about choices I suppose....

OP, do yourself a favor and get an action, a shouldered prefit, and diy. That way you aren't beholden to the all mighty gunsmith.

Sorry for the rant, but why is it sooooGD hard to find a smith and have them work on you stuff. I talked to a well known smith today and the guy really rubs me the wrong way. He will "only work on new rifle builds". I have all the parts that would go together perfectly, but he won't do it. He , "makes moldy of his money on parts" seems like a rip off to me. I've talked to other smiths and each and everyone has their little quirks. Is my money not green or worthy? I just don't understand. Rant over
Where are you located? Maybe someone here can suggest a smith for you.