Ranger Arms rebarrel?

specweldtom

I'm looking at a Ranger Arms (Gainesville, Tx) rifle for a possible rebarrel. Anybody know what the footprint, tenon size, and thread pitch is? I've searched the net, but am not finding much on them, and no technical info.

The more I can find out, the easier it will be to decide whether to take it or leave it.

Thanks, Tom

The Ranger Arms Texas Magnun specs. are
Shank length .990
Shank dia. 1.000
Thread pitch 14V tpi

Thanks Rayo, That tells me that I could rework the tenon on a Rem or Weatherby barrel if I had one that was a proven shooter, and put it on the Ranger. However, I looked at it last night, and it is very nice, and would deserve a quality replacement, like a Lilja. I can't tell about the footprint yet. The receiver is round bottomed like a Remington, but the receiver ring diameter looks smaller than a Remington. In the next couple of days, I'll have the chance to really study it.

Do you know if Ranger made the action or if they bought it from someone else?

You have a P/M

Thanks again, Tom

Rayo, Quick question. I probably can't afford both books. Which do you think has the best technical info?

Thanks, Tom

The Ranger Action was designed by Homer Koons. The action was built/designed by Ranger and the trigger assembly is separate from the action. My father was a dealer for Ranger Arms back in 1970 until the doors shut in the mid 70's. Roughly about 4k actions were made. Ranger sold actions and barreled actions to gunsmiths to build their own. Ranger Arms also built custom rifles in their own factory. The rifles built from the Ranger Arms factory would have "Ranger Arms Gainesville TX" stamped on the barrel. If you want to talk Ranger history of specs you can shoot me an e-mail.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.