Rangefinders with built in ballistic calculator????

Thanks for the response. I needed to get caught up on this subject. I recently purchased the Bushnell CONX - but in truth, the basic range finding just...well...sucks.
I have a Sig 2000 that out performs it - to such a degree it is laughable. And - I have sent it back to Bushnell, who graciously re-calibrated it, and "checked it out"...NO difference.
So, I have no confidence in it - because if it does so poorly at basic range finding, why would I put any extra effort into trying to set it up for any advanced features? I am completely disappointed in it. And _ I hated to share that...but felt a sense of confusion when so many people have had praise fro this unit. Ideas?
Forgive my questions - no intent to de-rail this discussion or the O.P.'s thread.
T
I have never saw Bushnell RF's not do the job. they are not the best but the best for the money. I have the G force 1300 ARC and I really do not need any thing else. It almost sounds like you are hawking one product over another. Sig rangefinders are excellent but bushnell is not junk

I have never saw Bushnell RF's not do the job. they are not the best but the best for the money. I have the G force 1300 ARC and I really do not need any thing else. It almost sounds like you are hawking one product over another. Sig rangefinders are excellent but bushnell is not junk
I had the G-Force 1300 and it ranged everything within 1400yds+ and I love the solid Alloy housing, It's a great comfort knowing there was no plastic bits to break off, It's the Toughest LRF made.

I had the G-Force 1300 and it ranged everything within 1400yds+ and I love the solid Alloy housing, It's a great comfort knowing there was no plastic bits to break off, It's the Toughest LRF made.
Good to know the durability of the unit. there is nothing much that needs getting done past 1400yds. I can never get into smart phones plugging this thing into that lol

Good to know the durability of the unit. there is nothing much that needs getting done past 1400yds. I can never get into smart phones plugging this thing into that lol
Well the Conx talks to the phone via Bluetooth where it connects the moment you press the range button to the phone or the kestrel, it's a clever system and you can load your own data Drops where you don't need the phone or the kestrel once the phone has loaded the data in to the ConX, Both the ConX and the G-Force are about putting meat on the Table.

W

When you say out performs it what do you mean exactly,, One is a 1 mile/1760yd RF and the other is rated to 2200y/m, So they are rated for different ranges, And if that is so that is the norm as in their description, but performance or range is only one part of it, The options that the Conx give you is where the true performance lies giving you unlimited options for as far as it can range due to it's connectivity, I have seen Videos where people are ranging Pronghorn at 1798yds and Mule Deer Does at 1649yds and fence posts at over 1600yds, No one should be hunting animals at those ranges anyway.

Having used the Conx on small targets and Animals out 1600+yds I think is more a case of how you use it, Meaning that it took me a couple of days to get use to aiming it after using a vertical rangefinder, I have ranged the Tip of a CB aerial a 1/4" wide and 230yds in the rain and 1mil green targets at 1677yds, and domestic sheep at 881 and 887 and 877 and over 1300 yards and crows and seagulls well over 300yds and trees at over 1500yds small stone walls at 1485yds.

The Sig 2000 actually ranges MUCH farther than the CONX - like, more than 1000 yds.. And - it tells me all I think I need to know for hunting purposes.... Maybe I have one that is "over the top" - but it has been fantastic. The CONX on the other hand - regardless of lighting conditions, time of day etc...is virtually worthless in my use. I mean it literally is the worst range finder I have ever owned. Big and clunky, slow to process and deliver results. And because I cannot get it to range with ANY degree of consistency beyond approx 175 yards - I sent it back. Bushnell "check it out" - and sent it back, giving it a clean bill of health. (Bull shite...) Still - no difference in (lack of) performance.
Thus - I am of the opinion that a quality scope, tested and known drops for each mark, experience with reading thermals and wind, and ammo that performs consistently...STILL make the better companions - for hunting. Perhaps, for the "luxury" hunter - or someone engaged in competitive shooting...meh - I will still say better scope, better reticle, MORE time with your eye behind the scope - and spend the amount of money you would other wise spend on "glory toys" on LEAD and RANGE TIME- will assure you find the mark more often than being reliant on a gobbledy-gook of electronics and manuals, batteries and notes ( anything more than a quality dope card ).
I recognize that we all fall victim to our desire for perfection - and manufacturers are always trying to sell us a panacea. I just don't believe that really exists. And if it doest - the cost in term of dollars...and all of the extra junk, and batteries required simply complicate rather than simplify the objective.

Last edited:
The Sig 2000 actually ranges MUCH farther. And - it tells me all I think I need to know for hunting purposes.... Maybe I have one that is "over the top" - but it has been fantastic. The CONX not he other hand - regardless of lighting conditions, time of day etc...is virtually worthless in my use. I mean it literally is the worst range finder I have ever owned. Big and clunky, slow to process and deliver results. And because I cannot get it to range with ANY degree of consistency beyond approx 175 yards - I sent it back. Bushnell "check it out" - and sent it back, giving it a clean bill of health. Bull shite...
Still - no difference in (lack of) performance.
Thus - I am of the opinion that a quality scope, tested and known drops for each mark, experience with reading thermals and wind, and ammo that performs consistently...STILL make the better companions - for hunting. Perhaps, for the "luxury" hunter - or someone engaged in competitive shooting...meh - I will still say better scope, better reticle, MORE time with your eye behind the scope - and spend the amount of money you would other wise spend on "glory toys" ON LEAD and RANGE TIME- will assure you find the mark more often than being reliant on a gobbled-gook of electronics and manuals, and notes ( anything more than a quality dope card ).
I recognize that we all fall victim to our desire for perfection - and manufacturers are always trying to sell us a panacea. I just don't believe that really exists. And if it doest - the cost in term of dollars...and all of the extra junk, and batteries required simply complicate rather than simplify the objective.
Sorry but I don't believe you, for one As a Company Bushnell do not operate like that, If they tested is and it was fine then the problem lies elsewhere The ConX will range further than that even in Heavy Snow with flakes over an inch in size in temps of below -3.9*.

If you like the sig then I am pleased for you, but I don't believe what you say about the ConX or Bushnell.

Last edited:
Range finders performance are unfortunately normally based on their cost
(You Get what you pay for)

Like most I started with an inexpensive unit that was rated at 400 yards.
Most Of the time it would do that. but I had a targeting problem and sometimes I couldn't get a reading on a single target. I found out what was wrong buy ranging the tail of a windmill that had nothing but sky behind it and could not get it to show distance until I moved it 2 feet to the left. So then on in order to make it work I aimed 2 feet to the left of what I wanted to range. I sent it back and exchanged it for an 800 yard unit and it worked fine until I exceeded 600 yards on soft targets and it was unreliable.

The next step was to buy a little bit more expensive unit that had more features, was more compact and features for bow and gun. It worked well but could never reach the advertised yardage consistently. so I finally bit the bullet and bought a range finder that would range farther that I intended to shoot and that had ballistic programming. I have never looked back because it does everything I want it to do. My only regret is that I had spent enough on lesser rangefinders to buy the top line twice over. I would buy the new 2500 if I needed it, but I don't compete or hunt where I would need to shoot over 15 to 18 hundred
yards.

I am happy with my G7 but I am sure that there are other rangefinders that are as good or better so I recommend that a person looks to his needs and buys what is best for him and his intended use.

J E CUSTOM

I had the first model Bushnell G-Force ARC and it was supposed to range trees at 900yds, It use to range trees at 1381 in bright sunlight with heavy haze and mirage and my ConX ranges them well past 1500 yds,

The G7 is awesome I would be happy with either the Mk 1 or Mk 2, Great piece of Kit.

Well, not hawking anyrhing. Was really interested in the capabilities and the fullfillment of marketing promises. Aside from the stuff which gets sucked out of Porta-Jons...
My point is I see that there are some genuine short comings no matter which piece of added cartage ...er...equipment and I am unconvinced that for the amount of money of either the G7 OR the Sig 2400 AB ....I am not seeing a lot of "complete satisfacrion" any more than I read of " with caveats" sort of replies.
I have owned several RF units. And the older Bushnells worked well within thier range. Others as well...like the Nikons.
But it appears we are squeezing the technology so hard for "all in one" solutions that the compromises made in earnest attempt to make the thing meet the goal....are often glaring. I saw in the thread about the 2400AB not being temp. tolerant....wow. Well..scratch that one off as a reasonable purchase for hunting huh?

I dont feel a need to disparage...lie...or convince tou of anything. I dont hate Bushnell nor do I have a love affair with or am I a fan boy of any brand. Hell...they all can make good stuff...and some bombs as well.
So if I have offended you or your sensitivities...you have my apology. I do operate with the most important value of integrity. What I have stayed here is plain truth. That you dont like it is beyond my control....but not worth the effort on my part to lie to youto make you feel better.
Sorry but I don't believe you, for one As a Company Bushnell do not operate like that, If they tested is and it was fine then the problem lies elsewhere The ConX will range further than that even in Heavy Snow with flakes over an inch in size in temps of below -3.9*.

If you like the sig then I am pleased for you, but I don't believe what you say about the ConX or Bushnell.

No need to apologize, No harm done, I have heard of one other ConX plus yours not being as described so this is totally alien to me, I wish I lived closer so you could see how it should perform, There is one guy scoring 1st round hits at 1300yds in comps and another Guy shooting 6 deer in 2 days at ranges past 700yds and certain serving gentlemen who use them as their person LRF's. From a Tactical/Military and hunting point of view is very hard to beat, Truly think something else was wrong,

No need to apologize, No harm done, I have heard of one other ConX plus yours not being as described so this is totally alien to me, I wish I lived closer so you could see how it should perform, There is one guy scoring 1st round hits at 1300yds in comps and another Guy shooting 6 deer in 2 days at ranges past 700yds and certain serving gentlemen who use them as their person LRF's. From a Tactical/Military and hunting point of view is very hard to beat, Truly think something else was wrong,
I sure wish I could get mine to work well.....it really seems to be a product of great promise....as are some of the others out there. But I am at a loss because I really do not want to send ot back again. Every sane person does not wan to be "that guy" with a mnufacturer.
I have used the same exact test locations for every range finder I have owned during the last 15 years. So....I can attest that lighting ...time of day...weather...targets for aiming at and other conditions affecting operation of any LRF are the same.
Of note tho....the CONX ...at least this one....is far more sensitive to high sun or bright conditions than most other LRFs I have owned.
Any suggestions? Anyone that has an inside track or person at Bushnell I can talk to and fet some real help with this?
Thanks
T

I sure wish I could get mine to work well.....it really seems to be a product of great promise....as are some of the others out there. But I am at a loss because I really do not want to send ot back again. Every sane person does not wan to be "that guy" with a mnufacturer.
I have used the same exact test locations for every range finder I have owned during the last 15 years. So....I can attest that lighting ...time of day...weather...targets for aiming at and other conditions affecting operation of any LRF are the same.
Of note tho....the CONX ...at least this one....is far more sensitive to high sun or bright conditions than most other LRFs I have owned.
Any suggestions? Anyone that has an inside track or person at Bushnell I can talk to and fet some real help with this?
Thanks
T
Just a Brain wave here but did you try another battery because there was a batch of them out there that were showing good power when tested but when they were actually put under load in to an LRF they lost power and even the screens would not light up in some cases,

Like I said I have pointed mine up in the Air and Zapped the 1/4" tip of a CB aerial at 230yds,

In this video you can see the ConX ranging pronghorn from 1783 to 1798yds as they move about and this mirrors what mine does, Like you I have my own test site for optics so as long as the numbers match I know they are good,

This is how yours should be doing,

The Sig 2000 actually ranges MUCH farther than the CONX - like, more than 1000 yds.. And - it tells me all I think I need to know for hunting purposes.... Maybe I have one that is "over the top" - but it has been fantastic. The CONX on the other hand - regardless of lighting conditions, time of day etc...is virtually worthless in my use. I mean it literally is the worst range finder I have ever owned. Big and clunky, slow to process and deliver results. And because I cannot get it to range with ANY degree of consistency beyond approx 175 yards - I sent it back. Bushnell "check it out" - and sent it back, giving it a clean bill of health. (Bull shite...) Still - no difference in (lack of) performance.
Thus - I am of the opinion that a quality scope, tested and known drops for each mark, experience with reading thermals and wind, and ammo that performs consistently...STILL make the better companions - for hunting. Perhaps, for the "luxury" hunter - or someone engaged in competitive shooting...meh - I will still say better scope, better reticle, MORE time with your eye behind the scope - and spend the amount of money you would other wise spend on "glory toys" on LEAD and RANGE TIME- will assure you find the mark more often than being reliant on a gobbledy-gook of electronics and manuals, batteries and notes ( anything more than a quality dope card ).
I am with you there about chasing a wet dream with loads of money with phones Bluetooth etc. my bushnell g force 1300 ARC is all I will ever need

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.