Rangefinders with built in ballistic calculator????

Colin78

Are there any other rangefinders out that have a built in ballistic calculator that provides a calculated "shoot to distance " other than the G7 and Leica HD-B? I really like the Leicas since it's binoculars with the built in rangefinders with the ballistic calculator, but they are really expensive and from what I read there warranty and CS is not very good. I wish Swarovski or Leupold made some!

I am aware of the sig 2400 but it does not provide a shoot to distance.

Are there any other rangefinders out that have a built in ballistic calculator that provides a calculated "shoot to distance " other than the G7 and Leica HD-B? I really like the Leicas since it's binoculars with the built in rangefinders with the ballistic calculator, but they are really expensive and from what I read there warranty and CS is not very good. I wish Swarovski or Leupold made some!

I use the Bushnell ConX which does have all those features and then some, and having Bluetooth where it talks to the Kestrel AB or Sportsman/Ballistics is a real bonus and there is at lease 6 ways that you can use it and that is a good thing because It always allows for a backup plan.

Hope that helps.

John.

Colin,

If I understand what you are looking for, the Leica 2700b will do what you want to 1000 yards, but not past that. I am guessing that you want a shoot to distance so that you can use a custom turret? So basically, you want the solution to take into account elevation, temp and angle and then output an equivalent horizontal distance that you can dial on your turret?

I don't know anything about the others, but I bought the G7 based on the recommendation of a friend that had one and have been very happy with its accuracy and ease of programing. (I have the 2000 yard one not the new 2500). It has good glass and can be used as a monocular if you don't want to carry binoculars and a range finder.

Mine works great out to 1800 yards and in good conditions out to 2000 yards on soft targets.

In the past, the different rangefinders I have owned would normally only read hard targets much past half there rated distance.

From what I can read about the new G7 it is easier to program and to use, but I am happy with what I have and don't see any need to upgrade at this time. If I didn't already have one I would consider the new model G7.

J E CUSTOM

I don't know anything about the others, but I bought the G7 based on the recommendation of a friend that had one and have been very happy with its accuracy and ease of programing. (I have the 2000 yard one not the new 2500). It has good glass and can be used as a monocular if you don't want to carry binoculars and a range finder.

Mine works great out to 1800 yards and in good conditions out to 2000 yards on soft targets.

In the past, the different rangefinders I have owned would normally only read hard targets much past half there rated distance.

From what I can read about the new G7 it is easier to program and to use, but I am happy with what I have and don't see any need to upgrade at this time. If I didn't already have one I would consider the new model G7.

J E CUSTOM

Well I have seen pictures posted of the one you have hitting rocks and trees beyond 2500yds it's a great LRF

Colin,

If I understand what you are looking for, the Leica 2700b will do what you want to 1000 yards, but not past that. I am guessing that you want a shoot to distance so that you can use a custom turret? So basically, you want the solution to take into account elevation, temp and angle and then output an equivalent horizontal distance that you can dial on your turret?

Yes sir, that is exactly right.

I don't see any mention of the Sig 2400AB.....Someone bring me up to date on this please? Must be a reason it is not one of the suggested rangefinders?

Colin,
Ok, for what you are wanting, AFAIK, only the Leica RF's work in that fashion. Any of the 'B' models will give you a distance return, and they are designed specifically for use with a custom turret in the manner you are looking for. Basically, you have your turret cut to your load at 59 degrees F, 29.92 absolute pressure, 0 degrees cant. Range with the RF set to return EHR (Equivalent Horizontal Range), and it will take into account whatever differences there might be in temp, pressure and cant, compare that to your ballistic curve, and then display both the 'raw' distance, and a modified shoot to.
Couple things to note here. Only the 2700b and the later b series RF binos allow you to use a card to enter your precise curve. This is really important because otherwise, you are stuck using one of the 12 preset curves they have, which may not be a good enough match, so I definitely would go with the 2700 or the binos if you are shooting past 600 yards or so. Also, if you are using the card, it will display EHR to 1000 yards. Past that, it will not display a solution, only the raw distance. Angle, pressure, and temp are always available to enter into a solver. The reason, ostensibly, that they will not give you a solution further is that at that distance the extra stuff gets really important (coriolis, aero jump etc.), and their SW does not account for these variables, so it's better to use a solver.
As far as performance, I can only speak to the 2700 and the 1600. My 2700 has been able to get returns off tree foliage at almost 2800 yards so far, and that was handheld. I suspect off better surfaces and on a tripod, you would get a mite bit further in good conditions. Glass is, well, Leica. Spoils you, I use mine as an observation piece all the time before pulling out the binos.

All that being said, as I am sure you are aware, there are other options to consider, but I was responding to what you asked for, which is one with EHR. There are others that will give you an EHR, but they only include angle, not ballistics, pressure and temp.

HTH

Last edited:
I don't see any mention of the Sig 2400AB.....Someone bring me up to date on this please? Must be a reason it is not one of the suggested rangefinders?

Teesquare, the 2400 is another very robust solution to consider, but it does not give the EHR in the way that the OP requested. In many ways, it is superior, in others, not so much. It is very expensive, but includes AB software right there. Just range it, and it will spit out your solution right there in mils or MOA. No need for a turret. Holds 3 different curves, and AB sw is awesome. I have it on my Kestrel Elite (BTW, Leica's SW is older, but so far, out to 1k, it is within .1 MOA of the Kestrel, and with a little tweaking, the difference was only .05MOA when coriolis and/or aero jump were not factors). A lot of guys really like theirs, I have used one in a limited fashion, hope to score one for longer loan to review soon. Sig's RF's are really fast as well in terms of reshooting your distance etc.

Downsides to me at least, the most obvious will be the glass. To my eyes, not even close, but some people don't care about this. More technical, the Leica has a smaller beam dispersion, 50% IIRC. And then there is the wind solution. How you handle this will determine whether the differences matter or not, but the 2400, the wind seems kind of an after thought to me with the dongle they supplied for your phone. When I talked with the Sig engineers, they sorta agreed, but they said that when they use it, they just put in a generic 10mph wind and then adjust their hold based on where they thought it was in comparison to this number. Problem with this to my mind is 1) I really want to know a little more precisely what the wind is doing, probably due to my inexperience in judging the wind, especially when I travel to new places where the vegetation is different from home 2) I found entering the wind into the Sig fiddly with the buttons etc 3) Wind is an important calculation with Aero jump, so if you put in 5 but it's really 15, your aero jump will be wrong. At 500 yards, no biggie, but at 1500, can be a biggie.

For the cost of the 2400, you can more or less buy a 2700 and the Kestrel Elite with AB. Not suggesting that's the better solution, nor that the 2400 is the better solution. It just depends, they both have their strengths and failings, and both manufacturers have left something on the table instead of really finishing the job in my opinion.

Best solution, to my mind, and only on paper until we see how it performs, looks like it will be the new Vectronix....range...it talks to a Kestrel Elite where everything is automatically entered and your solution is right there, wind and all. But man, that is a pricey solution!

Not pushing the G7 but it excepts all the pertinent information in order to give you a ballistic solution and the way I use mine it gives me the MOA for the selected load and it is just a mater or clicking in the MOA on my turret. The only thing it does not do is the wind and mirage because it is inconsistent and the shouter has to figure out the effect of them.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the response. I needed to get caught up on this subject. I recently purchased the Bushnell CONX - but in truth, the basic range finding just...well...sucks.
I have a Sig 2000 that out performs it - to such a degree it is laughable. And - I have sent it back to Bushnell, who graciously re-calibrated it, and "checked it out"...NO difference.
So, I have no confidence in it - because if it does so poorly at basic range finding, why would I put any extra effort into trying to set it up for any advanced features? I am completely disappointed in it. And _ I hated to share that...but felt a sense of confusion when so many people have had praise fro this unit. Ideas?
Forgive my questions - no intent to de-rail this discussion or the O.P.'s thread.
T

W
Thanks for the response. I needed to get caught up on this subject. I recently purchased the Bushnell CONX - but in truth, the basic range finding just...well...sucks.
I have a Sig 2000 that out performs it - to such a degree it is laughable. And - I have sent it back to Bushnell, who graciously re-calibrated it, and "checked it out"...NO difference.
So, I have no confidence in it - because if it does so poorly at basic range finding, why would I put any extra effort into trying to set it up for any advanced features? I am completely disappointed in it. And _ I hated to share that...but felt a sense of confusion when so many people have had praise fro this unit. Ideas?
Forgive my questions - no intent to de-rail this discussion or the O.P.'s thread.
T
When you say out performs it what do you mean exactly,, One is a 1 mile/1760yd RF and the other is rated to 2200y/m, So they are rated for different ranges, And if that is so that is the norm as in their description, but performance or range is only one part of it, The options that the Conx give you is where the true performance lies giving you unlimited options for as far as it can range due to it's connectivity, I have seen Videos where people are ranging Pronghorn at 1798yds and Mule Deer Does at 1649yds and fence posts at over 1600yds, No one should be hunting animals at those ranges anyway.

Having used the Conx on small targets and Animals out 1600+yds I think is more a case of how you use it, Meaning that it took me a couple of days to get use to aiming it after using a vertical rangefinder, I have ranged the Tip of a CB aerial a 1/4" wide and 230yds in the rain and 1mil green targets at 1677yds, and domestic sheep at 881 and 887 and 877 and over 1300 yards and crows and seagulls well over 300yds and trees at over 1500yds small stone walls at 1485yds.

I have the GSeven and it works great. I like my Leica as well. I hear really good things about the Sig and want one of those. I read online somewhere that Nikon released a new rangefinder at the Shot Show this year that is supposed to be a ballistics calculator along the lines of the GSeven and Sig. Anyone know more about it? I do know that the GSeven has been a game changer for me and would not want to shoot without it or something similar to it anymore. Its pretty amazing what rangefinders are capable of these days.

I have the GSeven and it works great. I like my Leica as well. I hear really good things about the Sig and want one of those. I read online somewhere that Nikon released a new rangefinder at the Shot Show this year that is supposed to be a ballistics calculator along the lines of the GSeven and Sig. Anyone know more about it? I do know that the GSeven has been a game changer for me and would not want to shoot without it or something similar to it anymore. Its pretty amazing what rangefinders are capable of these days.
I Liked the G7 when it first came out and I still think it is one of the best ever LRF's, The terrapins etc are nice but the G7 has something for everyone, The G7 and the Conx are the only two I would go for, none of the others impress me,

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.