RAMSHOT LRT POWDER

What exactly does this chart mean? Are you saying RE 26 is slower than H1000? Or is this an energy per grain density chart of some kind?
From two posts below that one:
>> Above is posted some powders and their burn rates in order from faster to slower powders. LRT is near the bottom.

Cheers,
-mox

From two posts below that one:
>> Above is posted some powders and their burn rates in order from faster to slower powders. LRT is near the bottom.

Cheers,
-mox
Understood, what I should have said is that in my experience RE26 is faster than H1000 and every powder chart I have seen agrees with this.

I am questioning if the shown chart is actually a burn rate chart and not some other scale.

The case is supposed to be at or just shy of 140 gr H2O and close to 130 gr usable powder capacity. The LRT has good case fill in the 33XC but I have some H50BMG and RL50 I can try as well. I think the 33XC is close to the bore ratio of my .375 Snipetac and those two slower powders work well in it. May have to try the LRT in the .375 with some 350 grain Matchkings.
We're you able to run the 350 grain Matchkings with the LRT?

What exactly does this chart mean? Are you saying RE 26 is slower than H1000? Or is this an energy per grain density chart of some kind?
Your experience may be valid with R26 but only in high temps. RL26 is not a temperature insensitive powder. I have seen it go absolutely ape **** above 90 degrees and I don't doubt for a second it may be faster than H1000 over 90 degrees as H1000 is a Hodgdon extreme powder and is temp insensitive. But at some boundary condition of say 70 degrees or less, you will find R26 is in fact a slower powder than H1000.

That chart represents the starting values for Burn Rate Ba in Quickload expressed in the inverse of BARS as the unit of measure. That is a metric measure for pressure instead of Psig. Its just how the program is engineered as it comes from Germany.

All of these starting values for Ba or burn rate in QL are used as the starting place to generate a burn rate curve which they call a Vivacity Curve, a curve which shows the vital force of the powder as it burns, and it is a function of the amount of powder burned already or still unburned. That means it takes into account in the explosive reaction the density and shape of the powder granules, and how fast they are consumed in the explosion. This curve generated in the program is used to calculate the reaction/explosion characteristics in the pressure bomb---ie the brass cartridge with known volume. Its all PVT pressure, volume, temperature reaction Boyle's Law.

Yes, these starting values of the Ba burn rate in QL are accurate for the rankings of powder by burn rate, at the same normal temperature they were derived.

If you get above some temperature like 90 degrees with powders that are not chemically altered to be insensitive, then yes these relationships can go out the window. I have had it happen to me with N560 and RL 26 on a 100 degree day in Texas.

Velocities over 3400 for a 250 gr bullet with RL26 is scary stuff, when its normally only 3250 or so in MIchigan.

Bad JUJU.........so rankem in regular weather, and adjust and back off in really hot weather.

Understood, what I should have said is that in my experience RE26 is faster than H1000 and every powder chart I have seen agrees with this.

I am questioning if the shown chart is actually a burn rate chart and not some other scale.

I don't know the answer to that. It does seem odd that RE26 is slower than H1000 so we'll have to wait for @Veteran to chime in. (Addendum, see above - post timing collision :)

Cheers,
-mox

To your point about the charts and what started a lot of these threads on burn rate is that from chart to chart the powders will show up in different relative places. Charts are a very rough granularity of ranking, very coarse, not very reliable for precision work or decisions.

Look at this color chart. RL 25 is well above H1000 in this chart.....RL 26 which Alliant designed to compete with Retumbo is shown just above H1000. Now Look at the next chart. RL 25 is below H1000??

These charts are pretty worthless. Use them only for ranges and big picture and for selecting powders to research with more precision.

There is a whole new recent thread on burn rates which you may find interesting. Find the newest thread using search about burn rates and charts.

Attachments

• burn-rate-color.pdf
    417.7 KB · Views: 146
  • BurnRates.pdf
    10.7 KB · Views: 126
Here's the link to the latest Burn rate discussion.

Here's the link to the latest Burn rate discussion.

Very informative posts; thanks.

So far so good. The advertised BC is a little high, this is after shooting them to over 2500 yards. I'm running H50BMG, think LRT would be a little fast for such a heavy bullet. PM if you want so we don't derail the thread.

I have a rifle I'm loading for that I think I'll try this in.....

It's a 26" Savage 6.5x284 Norma, that has a ridiculously long throat, OAL for a 140 elite hunter @ the lands was 3.260", and had very little bullet in the neck. Ramshots data for a 140 Berger showed an OAL of 3.150", so I think with the long throat, a magnum primer and a 156 Berger seated close to the lands, I could make this work. I plan on doing a pressure work up to see where I get, it may be a bust, but I didn't see anyone else list specific data with this, so I'll try it out.