Rams...Is this the right place for this?...Sucess!

WSMDRT

So I guess Rams are in the sheep family right?!

My son and I made our 2nd trip to Hog Haven in Kenna, WV for rams this time. (First time was hog hunt)
Check out that hunt here: Hog Hunt

Same accommodations for this hunt, whole family went down cabin is big enough for my wife and daughter to hang out while we are out.

Perfect day. 25° in the morning working up to 50° high. Josh(Owner and Guide) starts day about 8am. Into the buggy and through the gate. Sun was out as we sought out our Rams(only 2 on property). After some creeping around Josh stops the buggy to check around a blind spot with out blowing it by riding right past them. "They are up there" he said. Ok game on! Get everybody loaded up and ready to move. We creep along lower hill out of sight to get better and angle. And move about 60 yards around the side of hill through and over thick stuff until we are coming right up in front of them about 75 yards uphill shot from 15 yards into wood line. As soon as we crest of hill to spot them its time to set up on the sticks. My son goes first. Set up a few positive words from Dad(me) and the guide and crack. RAM DOWN. My ram does 360 to see what could be going on I quickly high five and fist bump as i get on sticks...wait for a decent broad side shot. BOOM! 2nd ram down. Within 10ft of each other.
20220227_081737.jpg

His Texas Dall Ram
20220227_084413.jpg

My Corsican
IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

Rifles:
His, Walmart 700 Youth 243 Win. Stock painted, KRG knob, Burris Signature 2-10 E3 MOA scope. Fiberglass resin added to forend to eliminate flex. 90gr ELD-X
Mine, Winchester Model 70, 270 WSM Bushnell Banner 3-9. 130gr SST

We brought them home....We'll see...feelings are strong one way or the other. I chopped the loins into cubes going to try in a strong curry sauce heard that's the best way. I ground the rest and cut with pork going to try jerky sticks(per guides recommendation) got hot flavor figure if that doesn't work nothing will. Before grinding my dad and I meticulously trimmed the fat off i heard thats where a lot of the taste lives. I'll report back once i cook some or make some jerky.

Heck yeah! But like you said his face is why I do it. You can't force kids into this, you can only expose them to your passion and see what happens. Im lucky he has taken to it so we can enjoy it together. Makes it easier to sell to my wife too...."come on honey its something we both love". She is into the trips, talks of family beach vacation to Corpus Christi Summer 2023.... beach for the girls(wife and daughter 12yr) while the boys slip away inland to hunt some exotics south east Texas has to offer. Looking at me on a nilgai and him on something an outfitter will throw in special package extra hogs or rams or wild things they keep in that area. Truly blessed to be able to do this and spent this time together.

We booked a return trip for my birthday back to Hog Haven. This time my son will be after a Zebu... and I'll take a hog....the freezer will be full for the foreseeable future!