Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I was out locating for the plane one morning, I was using proper terminologies, as several other agencies were able to listen in on us. Pretty soon the gunner came on and told me you don't have to be that proper loosen up only the pilot knows what you're talking about and the directions you're giving to get us onsite. I asked him if the pilot was the one that needed to know where to go as he was the one doing the driving. A week later I was in the main office and the clerk and district supervisor told me they were glad that I was using proper transmitting procedures, as there were so many other ears listening in besides them. It's been so long now I don't remember a lot of things and some of it I don't want to at this time lol. The pilot drove fixed wing in Vietnam, then he flew B17's down south spraying crops. He was flying a Husky fixed wing here before he retired. I would have ridden with him any time in almost any weather conditions, he was good.

Not a lot of people understand Q codes that haven't been trained RTO's from what I can tell QRT is asking if you should stop transmitting. I see no need to do that. There are well over 100 Q codes if I remember correctly. Maritime are different then aviation and lrrp are different all are different yet from civilian.
Well I probably misused qrt but I meant I was gonna stop talking and shut this computer down. I felt the need to do some communication on ssb on 11 meter 28 megahertz a few years back and can talk for 100 miles on a clear quiet day with what I've put together and on skip days,, anywhere. A lot is going on in the what I named "the tension zone" Wifes cousin is down on the border, Kinney County Texas and has had 300 of those people come daylight in their barn, repeated days in a row, it is past serious folks... These are not Mexicans...
Sorry for the rant but I highly suggest everyone prepare yourself.

I went to work for a ranch that was ran by the dad after his dad retired. Both of the dad's son's were there helping run the ranch as well. I had worked for the ranch for a couple of months and was out calling one morning, I had my truck hidden in a deep draw and had climbed over a ridge in a saddle set up and was howling into some rough country, a two-track road was to my left around an 1/8 of a mile. All of a sudden, a truck came down the road from behind me stopped a guy got out and was glassing my direction. I stood up and walked over to him, I was checking the water when I heard a coyote howling so I came over to see if I might get a shot at it. Nah it was just me I told him. A couple of week later I was down on their southern place had my truck hidden out in a draw and had walked maybe a 1/4 mile set up and was howling into the next pasture over where I had heard some coyotes a few mornings earlier. I saw a ridder come up out of some rough country headed my way, so I just waited, pretty soon he got close enough that he spotted me. Was that you howling? I was looking for a coyote where's your truck? It was the younger brother checking cows and calves going to disturb a coyote in his cows. A month went by, and I had killed several coyotes on them, with calling, trapping and snaring. I was out set up on the back side of a good ridge overlooking some rough draws. I was tucked in a nice juniper doing a little young coyote barks and howls, wanting to get the female that I had taken her pups and the male the morning before. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement along a ridge line off to my right-hand side, a ridder loping along coming my way. He was doing it smart not on top of the ridge but down on the side of it, so he wasn't sky lined and in the shade of it. Oh, it's you dad told me he was looking for a coyote he heard, and it was you them my brother told me the same thing. Dad said you killed some coyotes in here yesterday, so I was just looking around. I saw them piled by the gate on my way in here, I wasn't sure if it was you or a coyote, so I wanted to check it out. I have had a lot of interesting experiences out in the field.

They will respond to it nearly always unless it has been overused then like anything else they get used to it. There are some that won't talk if they have really young pups, or if you are too close to them with it. A lot of the time after you locate them with the siren, they will come towards it, so then you won't be able to call them by going to where they were and calling them with distress calls. It normally takes them about half an hour till they will talk or respond to howls after they have talked. That's why I like to use it to locate the adults for the aircraft and the pups when they are old enough that they will howl in response to it. As with all of my calls I have times of the year that I like to use them better than other times of the year so that I don't have them used to my calls. I know that there are coyotes that hear my calls and might be in another territory when I'm calling so they don't get to me before I shoot the coyotes that I am in their territory and that will teach them about that sound and a loud noise that is associated with it, making them cautious when they hear it.
Pretty much as I expected. I have a few sirens on a FP that I may try. I believe the folks who make the Elk Power Howler have a stand alone siren unit.

Thanks much, Dale

Sirens are an interesting tool for coyote control work. I have had coyotes travel toward them from a long distance before talking. Don't run them long enough that they stop talking before you turn it off but long enough that they will talk to it. Don't just turn it off and if you haven't heard them drive off, wait a while for them to answer or show up. If they have pups or are too close, they may not answer but just show up trotting towards you or get on a high spot and look your way. Wailing sirens work the best the yelp doesn't do you much good. The overuse of them is like the overuse of any other tool they will get used to it. In some of the areas that I would go out to locate for the aircraft the ranchers used them to call the cows to come for feeding, and the coal mines use them as a warning of an upcoming blast, so that the coyotes became used to them and wouldn't always answer them by howling. Like anything else they have a learning curve and I have made my share of mistakes while learning how when and where to use them for control work. Hearing protection should be used when they are being used if you can't hear the coyote's response it hasn't done you any good to get them to talk for you does it.

Last edited:
windypants; Coyotes take from 30 to 45 minutes to talk again. and it's hard to call them after locating them with a siren that same day. It's a good tool for locating them and if they are staying in the same area then you know where to find them the next day. We all need all of the tools we can get in our toolbox for the coyotes. As time goes by you will see them do some amazing things in response to the different tools that you use to locate, call and kill them.