Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Dave, you just keep those fingers warmed up typing, as a bunch of us are siphoning info off you like its going out of style!!!! Thanks
In the area I have been hunting lately they lay up 500 to 1000 yards away from the deer carcass, almost always in the stubble......couple years ago I saw in July where a pair with pups pulled down a adult mulie doe and ate about 1/2 of it, I found it at 9:00 a.m. and it was very fresh and warm...…..

Last edited:
Study the sounds that adult deer make . Reemty , You have coyote that are killing adult or yearling white tail deer ? Have you ever heard one that had it's foot caught in the top wires of a barbed wire fence ? Fawn blats aren't the only deer sound that coyote like to hear and come to . Deer are quiet most of the time but they do make sounds and we as coyote hunters should learn them for use this time of the year as well as fall . The open reed calls work well for that Critter-call , little dog and even the big dog howler make these sounds well . You don't have to have your call in your mouth just know where it is so that after your first shot work your bolt with out taking your eye off the scope get on the trigger and get your call in your mouth with out looking for it . I can find all of my stuff in the dark or with my eyes closed if need be ( a throw back to my time in the service when every body had their kit put together the same and at the ready you didn't want to be fooling around in a time of need if my buddy needed some thing from his kit I knew where it was and if I needed something from mine he knew where it was . I still keep my clothes ready to jump into at night , I know where my knife is in my pocket at all times and don't have to look to get it . I'm a left hand shooter but run a right hand rifle work the bolt with my right hand and trigger with my left my calls are within reach of my right hand that's just me . Yea I get told I'm strange lol .

Around 25 years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would tan a nice coyote for him to take to his wife's family down in Arizona . I got a nice large mountain coyote a day or two latter so I skinned it out feet and all cleaned the skin side well and started the tanning process . I got it tanned and softened it turned out well . I took it to him and he drove it down to them . They looked it over and told him we can't have this wolf we need a coyote for our ceremonies . He told me about that and we both got a good laugh they had never seen a big mountain coyote and were used to seeing the little plains coyote that weigh around 25 pounds not up to 70 pound mountain coyote they got it confirmed to be a coyote and were happy .

Several years back , when I was working with the usda guys , one of the ranches I worked on doing control work had killing of sheep and lambs . I found the sign and kills then determined that it was dogs tracked them back to where they were and talked to the other guys . They had about half a dozen dogs of mixed bread laying around . These aren't our dogs they just hang around here I was told , that way they didn't have to pay damages for the killed livestock . So any way I was told by the boss that as a worker for usda I wasn't supposed to kill dogs to keep them out of trouble . Ok I don't work with you guys any more then . Right is right and wrong is wrong I will visit with you latter . Six dogs latter the killing stopped the other guys eventually sold their farm and moved but I've had to kill several dogs that were running sheep some of them even belonged to the sheep owners . I had standing directions from the sheep ranchers if any dogs were in the sheep or away from people they were to be killed . I was out one day and there were two dogs running some sheep I got one and the other one ran over a hill top and dropped out of sight . So around the hill I go only to find the dog with a water well driller that was drilling a new water well for the rancher . Big oops . I drove up and told him what I had done he wasn't happy but kind of understood as he had been told not to bring his dogs with him in the first place . Our state regs state if a dog is 400 yards from a residence or it's owner or chasing any livestock or wild life you can kill it with out any repercussions legally . Coy dogs have a lot of these traits they are often aggressive toward humans and kill randomly .

I'm not sure I don't think so as I didn't see him do so but I know that I never saw it again . My grand parents taught me some of their ethics and the way they thought and did things when I was young , they would be well over one hundred if they were still alive today . One of the things that has stuck with me is if you have a dog that runs no matter how good it is other wise you kill it on it's way home and I have done so more then once .

Over the years I have found several places that I can come up the back side of a ridge and set up in front of a bush , rock or cut bank without being seen . I took the owner of a ranch out with his son one morning to one such spot we slipped in and got set up making our selves comfortable . I waited several minutes then let out a long howl and watched down in the rough draws to our front . After a while I howled again and out of the corner of my eye I saw movement as a female coyote jumped on top of a rock about 20 feet behind and to our side . One shot and she fell forward landing just a few feet from the son to my left . The rancher said I've never been that close to a live coyote that wasn't in a trap before he was hooked . We moved a few miles and made another stand . I howled and a coyote answered . I talked back to it with the same sounds that it was making to me . It ran down a slight low spot and then got on a bank across a wide draw from us and stood there barking and challenging me about 150 yards from us . When it turned broad side to us I squeezed the trigger it flopped over kicked a couple of times . The rancher looked at me and said did you just do that ? Yes I did I said . He said well now I know why the boys want to hire you . And the only ones that didn't have a good time were two coyote that day .

4-5" of new snow, highs next week from Sunday on, for 4 days....-6,-4,-8,-2...…:eek:🥶🥶going to be some coyote action....chance of snow thru Sunday...
ReemtyJ ,

Keep us posted with "Live Action Updates" , and I will keep the "GAME" tuned-in , on my LRH channel here in Texas .
I look forward to reading your reports .

DMP25-06