Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I've read some of the studies that Collage Station Texas , Southern California and the USDA have done on coyote it would amaze you what they will eat . During the dust bowl era they recorded coyote eating leather even . The one I got that didn't have any teeth had cow crap in his belly . I guess he could have swallowed mice whole but he couldn't have pulled any chunks off of any thing solid . I did once have an old dog coyote bring in some chunks of antelope into his female I had in a trap . I've seen them taking care of other coyote that way at times that had broken legs ect..

I think the oldest one I put at around twelve years old he didn't have a tooth one . I've had several that I would say were around 8 or so , they had well worn teeth a couple had one or two canines gone or warn down to nubs . I had the biologist look at some of them to age them he was impressed with a couple of them being as old as they were . I took him a big bobcat head one time he said it was the biggest one he had seen and put it's age at 12 to 13 years old that cat weighed 47 lbs. and stretched out to 48 inch's long tip of nose to base of tail . I had one old female that didn't have any small teeth and all four canines were just nubs her molars were rounded off instead of sharp I figured her to be around 8 or nine . I look them over pretty good they have a story to tell you if you look for it . I found a 22 rifle bullet in one's left hip , it was round nosed and looked to be from a 22 long rifle bullet it was swollen to about the size of a golf ball and abscessed . A few pairs of blue vinyl gloves come in real handy even for skinning one should wear them .

Last edited:
A very good book to look through is Field Manual of wildlife Diseases in the Southeastern United States by William R. Davidson . I got a lot of schooling in diseases that can make the jump from wildlife to humans there was a time when I had to have 3 days of schooling every 3 years just to keep up on this kind of thing . For me it is very important to keep a journal of the animals taken , where they were taken , the date taken and the general condition of the animal . A few years back there were two guys that shot a bobcat in a P.D. town they said it acted kind of funny but they skinned it any way a couple of days later they both were sick figured it was the flu long story short they ended up in the E.R. one was life flighted to Billings Mt. where he died . It was plague , Colorado has had several cases of it as has Wyoming in recent years so that helps to figure out what is going on if you have kept track of the animals taken and where they were taken if something does happen to you . A friend of mine got sick it just hung on and hung on she went to the Dr. and they couldn't figure it out then her lungs started to fail she ended up at the Mayo clinic where they figured out it was tularemia that she had inhaled from working lambs in one of the lambing sheds where the rabbits were living and it was dusty . Then if you go back to the Ohio Valley Leptospirosis is very common and you get that from bird excrement . Giardia is also common with any one who does beaver control work as is round worm from racoons so it kind of pays to take some precautions when handling wildlife . Rabies is one that we can get vaccinated for before hand it's a five shot series then they check for antibodies in your blood there after to see if you need a booster . I used to do a lot of skunk control work with live traps and they are notorious for rabies as are bats . Stay safe and have a happy and enjoyable holiday season .

Gentlemen , thank you we all have areas that we like and study till we get to the place we want to be , I never did stop when it comes to the coyote. They have always fascinated me since I was a kid how a wild dog could live and even flourish all the while being persecuted , hunted and hated by so many has amazed me and gained my respect for them . They always told me to know your enemy in my case it was know your opponent and study them at every opportunity . And they have taught me quite a bit over the years and still have a lot to teach me as they adapt to life with the human species . I have to give credit to my grand parents on my Moms side for how I turned out as an adult they instilled a lot of life lessons and their life experiences into my young life .

In my opinion , " Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote " has been THE MOST enjoyable , informative , entertaining , and EDUCATIONAL thread that has been posted on ANY Outdoor Shooting and Hunting website . And Most Certainly here on LONG RANGE HUNTING.com website .

There have been NO arguments that "my bullet/rifle combination is better than yours" . No name-calling , shouting that " You are a Liar . There is no way that you could have done what you say " .
Everyone has been respectful to each other , and have written comments in dignified , non-incindiery wording , showing that all of those that have posted truly possess personal dignity and high moral character , and good manners .

WHAT A RIDE IT HAS BEEN .
62 pages and 862 posts , SO FAR .
Started 8 months ago , on April 20th , by DSheetz , and there have been very few days that posts have not been made .

By it's very name " Ramblings and Such from hunting Coyote " implies that this thread was a "Trip Down Memory Lane" , which it has been .
But , those of you that have so graciously and generously contributed your knowledge , advice , tips , and skills that you learned through your years of hunting experience have made this into the most "educational" thread on LRH.com .

We are receiving daily posts of current up-to-the-minute hunting experiences that members are sharing with all of us .
Started in the Spring , we have gone through Summer , Fall , and are now into Winter , and the posts continue . Keep them coming .
I usually open my computer daily , and go directly to LRH.com , looking for any new posts for this thread .

The hunting advice and tips that you shared have made this forum thread into a classroom , and IF we were to be lucky enough to be attending , in person , seated in a large auditorium , and DSheetz was getting ready to speak , you would be able to hear a pin drop .
To borrow the words from an old Wall St. television advertisement , "When DSheetz speaks , People LISTEN !!!"

I thank ALL of you that have served in our US Military , I hold you in the highest esteem for being the defenders of our country .
I also thank all of our First Responders , police , fire , and medical for the service that you provide .

MERRY CHRISTMAS to each and every one of you , and your families .

GOD Bless and Protect The United States of America !!!!!

Respectfully to all ,
DMP25-06

In my opinion , " Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote " has been THE MOST enjoyable , informative , entertaining , and EDUCATIONAL thread that has been posted on ANY Outdoor Shooting and Hunting website . And Most Certainly here on LONG RANGE HUNTING.com website .

There have been NO arguments that "my bullet/rifle combination is better than yours" . No name-calling , shouting that " You are a Liar . There is no way that you could have done what you say " .
Everyone has been respectful to each other , and have written comments in dignified , non-incindiery wording , showing that all of those that have posted truly possess personal dignity and high moral character , and good manners .

WHAT A RIDE IT HAS BEEN .
62 pages and 862 posts , SO FAR .
Started 8 months ago , on April 20th , by DSheetz , and there have been very few days that posts have not been made .

By it's very name " Ramblings and Such from hunting Coyote " implies that this thread was a "Trip Down Memory Lane" , which it has been .
But , those of you that have so graciously and generously contributed your knowledge , advice , tips , and skills that you learned through your years of hunting experience have made this into the most "educational" thread on LRH.com .

We are receiving daily posts of current up-to-the-minute hunting experiences that members are sharing with all of us .
Started in the Spring , we have gone through Summer , Fall , and are now into Winter , and the posts continue . Keep them coming .
I usually open my computer daily , and go directly to LRH.com , looking for any new posts for this thread .

The hunting advice and tips that you shared have made this forum thread into a classroom , and IF we were to be lucky enough to be attending , in person , seated in a large auditorium , and DSheetz was getting ready to speak , you would be able to hear a pin drop .
To borrow the words from an old Wall St. television advertisement , "When DSheetz speaks , People LISTEN !!!"

I thank ALL of you that have served in our US Military , I hold you in the highest esteem for being the defenders of our country .
I also thank all of our First Responders , police , fire , and medical for the service that you provide .

MERRY CHRISTMAS to each and every one of you , and your families .

GOD Bless and Protect The United States of America !!!!!

Respectfully to all ,
DMP25-06
DMP 25-06, I couldn't have said any of this any better if I tried. Very well said and ditto to all of it!

Thank You that is the way it was intended to be an educational or informative site that all can contribute to and enjoy . I am very much appreciative that all have shown respect to each other and to all that have shared experiences we are here to learn from each other and enjoy doing so . Thank you all again and all have a happy , safe and healthy holiday season .

You ol Wy-Dam-O-Ming potlicker😳😳😳👍🤝☝️🙏🍻🍻🍻🍻this thread was a grand idea!!!! Heading out for some more canine adventure in the morning......... hopefully with some deadly Ka-Pows😳👊👊
ReemtyJ ,

Keep up the good work with your .204 .
I am very intrigued with the thought of purchasing one , IF the supply of guns , ammo , and reloading components ever opens up , and the threat to our Constitution ever closes down .

Keep the current-events stories and photos coming .

DMP25-06

Let us all know how your day goes tomorrow Reemty . The wind slowed down some yesterday here but was back to 6o mph gusts today . We've been in the upper 40's and low 50's for a few days , tomorrow is only to be in the 20's but windy . It's been a different kind of year weather wise here we had a windy year back in 1995 . In a normal year we don't seem to have as much wind or warm temperatures as we have this year . We do get snow but then the wind blows and piles it up as well as we get some warmer days and melt some of it off as well normally .

Recent Posts