Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Remember I said there were 2 yesterday? Well the one that got away yesterday came back today and I was waiting. Also a female. I have to say this is the first time I've got 2 females that were running together. Had several male pairs and of course one each but a first for me. Both look about the same age and size to me.View attachment 555844View attachment 555845
Any idea where there den was. Are they usually hanging out close by

74honker; the canines look to be those of last year's pups, I have seen in the past where two females were running together, usually it's with an older female and the younger one is there to help raise the pups of this year. I have seen where both females had pups in the same den hole. There were a few weeks difference in the age of the pups, and it was evident by the size of the two groups. The last time there were 7 older pups and 6 younger ones. When I checked the size of the lumps and their numbers, the older female had the 7 pups, and they were at least two weeks ahead of the 6 from the younger female. You will most likely see a male somewhere if someone else didn't kill him already.

A lot depends on the time of the day, this one doesn't look to be nursing any pups at this time. Early in the morning with newborn pup's mom will have stayed all night with the pups, dad or the helper will come back near sunrise to relieve her and stay with the pups. I have tracked the adults back to the den from as far as three miles where they were going to kill lambs. I have often seen where the wet females would pull the fur off of their stomachs and line the den with it that also gives the pups better access to feed. If there is good food and water sources close by, they won't need to go as far to feed the pups and themselves. The picture of yesterdays the canines may have been a couple of years old, I couldn't see her stomach well, but she also didn't look to be nursing pups at this time. Here in my area, they won't be having pups born yet but will have the areas picked out where they will den and be making cleanouts for pupping in. They will be territorial and defending it from all challengers. I have found pups of coyotes as early as April 8th but usually don't actively start denning till April 25th for coyotes,

Any idea where there den was. Are they usually hanging out close by
Don't know where the den may be. I have a hunch or 2 but that's it. Our numbers have been down now for a couple years. Where I would've previously had cam pics of them several times a week, I now only get a couple a month. These are actually the first 2 I've had a chance at here close to the house in several months. I believe they were just passing through and I was lucky enough to be in the right place and time for once. And was able to get on them quickly as I had just seen the one just a couple days ago in the area but just watched it.

Dave, niether dog appeared to have had pups yet, a little early for here too I think. Niether bellys looked disturbed or milking. The one from yesterday I showed the PG pic lol. She was facing away and the entrance was just left of her center and the exit was pretty much her entire left side. It was ugly. I will definately be looking out for the male if one around next few days. About a week ago I heard a few sound off at sunset, first time in a long while I've even heard any and not far from the house here. Where I could hear a couple is where my hunch is on the den area. Was actually waiting for the right conditions to line up with my time to get set up some evening to try them. Both of these were coming through between 7:30 and 8AM and if anything, heading back towards where I thought a den may be. Last week I have covered ALOT of ground inspecting ditches, ditchbanks, crossings, levee, and watching for sign all the time over my area of roughly 10k acres. Sign was sporaditic at best, you see a track here and there and maybe a scat pile but nothing near what just a few years ago. Can't say I really seen any attempted denning yet either where I've been.

What is the prey, food base looking like in your area 74honker? Has there been any diseases running in your area, parvo, distemper, mange ect. ? They looked healthy to me but if they had run a fever, they may have sluffed their pups. There are so many variables that can cause them not have pups or have them later than normal.

I'm not smarter than a lot of the coyotes that I've hunted and killed I just knew some of the common traits they would have and the habits that they get to doing over and over. Sun Tzu wrote in the Art OF War you should know your enemy; the coyote was my opponent not my enemy, and I spent hours, days, and years studying them to get to know some of their weaknesses so that I could take advantage of them to be successful at killing the problem ones. Cussing is in all aspects of our lives, at one time when I was younger the expression was, they could cuss like a sailor, I did pretty good at it before I became one, and became even more proficient at it, when I was one. I am a lot better at not using profane words today, my grandma always told me if you walk with the lame you will learn to limp, she was right, and I did! That's a nasty habit you have there young man, from the outlaw Josey Wailes. I still find people spitting gross and nasty.
andrew dice clay hickory dickory dock GIF

Egh…sorry, this was funny…

What is the prey, food base looking like in your area 74honker? Has there been any diseases running in your area, parvo, distemper, mange ect. ? They looked healthy to me but if they had run a fever, they may have sluffed their pups. There are so many variables that can cause them not have pups or have them later than normal.
I would say the food base is actually not too bad right now. There's a few rabbits around, the deer are starting to come back a little from the EHD die offs a couple years ago. This area of the county is well known for parvo and such in dogs so disease is always a possiblity. I also think that since it seems that everyone and thier brother around here now has a thermal and the new winter passtime is booze cruizing around at night with them has also taking it's toll. As if they weren't tough enough already and call shy, now they won't hardly even sound off at night anymore either.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I enjoy hunting them, I like less coyotes. I'm just saying that those that survive around here get thier PhDs very early in life. I've listened last couple evenings and have kept a close eye out for a male to come looking for its mate but nothing to be seen or heard yet. Actually watching now.

That's a great story and I'm sure the education was priceless. Years ago while deer hunting I was perched atop a near vertical dirt bank sitting on the ground in full blaze orange when I seen a pair briefly through some brush. lost site of them and the next thing I know this one popped up literally within 6'. I think we both were just as surprised by each other but the stare down was on. Finally it slowly turned to leave and I had enough for a snap shot with my 12ga slug. That's got to be one of the most unnerving feelings I've ever had in the wild.
I was calling one with my hunting buddy and noticed he had his gun pointed not at me but more in my direction. At almost the same time I caught movement and a coyote was looking at me on the other side of the sagebrush about 2' away. My movement made him jump and I shot him when he got about 20yds away. I always sat with something behind me. Another time I let a coyote run into my gun barrel before shooting it, that one would have bitten me because his ears were back and his mouth open. Some of the best times ever

I find it hard to get on them when they land beside me from a cut bank, rock ledge ect., it's also been a little nerve wracking when they pop out of a draw within touching distance. I had a big male coyote in a trap that made a leap at me and swallowed my revolvers barrel to the trigger guard when I shot, he dropped off to the ground. I made a stand one afternoon, had a tall sagebrush at my back and the head of a grassy draw about three feet deep just in front of me at my feet. I let out my first series of rabbit from a circe hand call when out of the draw a coyote jumped up on the rim of the draw. My rifle barrel was touching her side as she turned to leave, and I squeezed the trigger. You can believe me when I say we were both startled when we realized what was happening.

At this time of year, they will be letting it be known where they have decided to have and raise the young. They will be running the boundary lines and marking more than talking but will talk some to let the surrounding coyote know their area is occupied. Soon most of the coyotes that have young won't be talking much but will actively respond to others talking. So very many times in my area, and it being pretty open, I have seen coyotes come to the edge of their areas and sit to watch me or my direction, when I would talk to them, and they wouldn't say a word just come and set looking and being ready to defend their areas. I have several times this time of year had them come to the boundary line and stand barking out warning barks, not challenge barks and howls, but warning don't come over here. Doing pee marking and even taking a dump doing kickbacks. Shrill howls and barks I'm mad and telling you to stay out of here. Once you have heard the difference between a challenge and a warning it will stay with you, I will be old and in a nursing home with Alzheimer's and be able to tell you the difference if I hear them.

I got my new sear, sear spring and disconnector today. I had my mics. brought in and up to room temperature, checked their calibration checked the pins and pinhole fits they were good. When I pulled it down the problem was standing out like a thumb that had been hammered on. Very poor-quality parts in it from the beginning, compared to the new ones. I now have a bit harder pull at five pounds, but it is five pounds time after time. I will be happy with that for my purposes. I have that on most of my other pistols as well. As long as it is consistent and carries a good group when I do my part, to the range before long.

That's good news! Five pounds is a little heavy for me as I like about 4.5 lb, but if it's consistent you'll do well with it.

Your comments on coyote behavior at this time of year are spot on. Since I'm down here along the border, we hit that stage about three weeks ago.

I carry my 10x42 binos with me all the time and really use them now as they will sit on their border and not always come in.
It's truly "hunting", not just shooting.

They will be maintaining the "spare" dens so that if the initial den is compromised or just gets too filthy, they will pick the pups up and move them to the new den.

In one area I'm working, I've only taken one female in the last few weeks , it's been all males.
I got her after I took her mate and she went looking for him.
One that was eluding me was a three-legged dog that was very wary and missing his right front foot. He wouldn't come in to the calls and would only give one vocal response and then shut up.
I switched up my trap placement and used a food curiosity bait that I had never used in the area before, betting that he was feeding the female and needed more food.
I took him on his left front foot. 😎
With him, and then her, out of the area, it caused a couple of other males to come wander in and I got them over the next few days.

Ed