Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

It's just a matter of time. What gland lure do you like to use on your flat sets, if you don't mind sharing that info. Here I found Hawbeckers Wily red 500 to be the most efficient gland lure there were a couple of others that worked well also. I didn't know you guys from the volunteer state ever went anyplace without your guns, even my sister from Nashville carries all of the time. We went out and looked at some nice pistols when I went to see her, she liked the Smith and Wesson compact 9mm, so I paid for one for her then I put a Storm Lake barrel and a duty carry trigger from Apex Tacticl, set at five pounds pull in it for her. Her and her son love it. It shoots well, I was chasing soft balls at twenty-five yards with it.

It's just a matter of time. What gland lure do you like to use on your flat sets, if you don't mind sharing that info. Here I found Hawbeckers Wily red 500 to be the most efficient gland lure there were a couple of others that worked well also. I didn't know you guys from the volunteer state ever went anyplace without your guns, even my sister from Nashville carries all of the time. We went out and looked at some nice pistols when I went to see her, she liked the Smith and Wesson compact 9mm, so I paid for one for her then I put a Storm Lake barrel and a duty carry trigger from Apex Tacticl, set at five pounds pull in it for her. Her and her son love it. It shoots well, I was chasing soft balls at twenty-five yards with it.
I get it locally at Rural King
image.jpg

Away from home I carry every day everywhere, but I was actually just relieving myself behind the barn when he came up on me.I had the wrong gun in my hand! Lol

I don't know how long he has been dead, but his book was interesting especially the lengths that he went to, so he didn't leave any excessive scent around his trapping sets. If I remember correctly it was written around the time of the great depression.

This is Daughter and one of her twins just born this morning. She is the daughter of Gimpy, who showed up at our house about ten years ago with a badly injured shoulder, probably from being hit by a vehicle. She instinctively new she would be safe from coyotes here and spent the rest of her life living in close proximity to our house. For the next eight years she would have twins just outside our yard, and then bring them in for us to babysit while she went for food and water. She died about two years ago. Now her daughters and grand-daughter raise their fawns here every year, knowing it's a safe place from coyotes.
Daughter.jpg

I haven't seen any fawns here yet; we had a bad die off this winter. I haven't found very many predator tracks here either, but we've had enough rain that the tracks are being washed out, so you have to right on top of them to find tracks. From past years I know where dens usually are, or at least the close proximity of where they normally are. The food base is low here and the pup and fox kit numbers are low with an average of five per litter so far. I haven't seen this much moisture since maybe 1972 here and the grass is doing good it's the greenest and tallest, I've seen in many years. The grazing animals need a break, and this will help them. Perhaps the rabbits will start a comeback. A long with the good comes some bad the ticks are out in force as are mosquitoes and when we have an increase in mice, we also have an increase, in the diseases that they transmit. Take care and keep checking that you are tick free.

Two years ago some areas here didn't get green as it was too dry for the grass to sprout. Last year some areas got enough rain to get green and stayed green for quite awhile, but some areas dried out pretty fast. This year where I am we are getting a lot of moisture and the grass is bright green and taller than normal. So many years we get green grass and by mid to late June it is drying out and curing. The animals seem to be liking the softer green grass and putting on some weight, shedding their winter coats and getting new shinny summer coats. So many years they get pretty rough looking when they lose some of the long dry hair and fur in patches, most of them are pretty smooth looking this year already. We didn't have a lot of blooms on the choke cherry trees this spring so there aren't a lot of berries on them and the currents as well as the buffalo berries aren't loaded with fruit either. The old timers used to tell me that meant we would have a milder winter, time will tell. We had a bumper crop of asparagus this spring, but the garden is off to a slow start, the birds found and ate a lot of the seeds so some replanting took place. I have another road trip today as I will go up and get my grandson then take him to his dads, go to Casper then back down to Cheyenne I will see a lot of animals along the way. Tomorrow, I plan on getting out to look at some of the den sites, I haven't been to yet, and see if they had any little ones around them this year. There is a rattle snake den in one of the areas, but I don't plan to visit it, those dens have a smell all their own. Rattle snakes have their place it's just not where I'm at! I was asked one time why do you park then look at the ground when you open your door before you step out, there are a ton of reasons for it, rattle snakes, cactus, cow pies mud water puddles, I'm not a fan of those kinds of surprises.

Some coyote watching observations. The nearby den has been abandoned and don't know where they are. Lots of activity at the den up the valley. Both adults have been lounging there in the evening with the pups playing around them. I saw four at first, but only seeing two now. This morning there are magpies all around the den, probably getting scraps from a fawn that was brought in. Which brings a question: why aren't there bones all around like at a fox den? Do they carry them away or bury them?

There was a cow elk nearby with her calf this morning. Something alarmed her, so she stashed her calf and went over and checked out the den site. She approached on high alert, and looked and sniffed all around. At one point she hackled up and ran at one of the coyotes, out of sight to me. After about a half hour she returned but didn't go to her calf. It's sure fun to see stuff like that! A couple of days ago, I got to watch two yearling bear cubs playing up in the big gnarly limbs of an old ponderosa pine.