Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

DMP 25-06 , that is an amazing story they often amaze me with the things they do . We have done some selective breading with them . We kill the ones that aren't smart enough or haven't been taught to be cautious of us and leave the smarter ones to bread with the smarter ones . And some people call animals dumb .

DMP 25-06 , that is an amazing story they often amaze me with the things they do . We have done some selective breading with them . We kill the ones that aren't smart enough or haven't been taught to be cautious of us and leave the smarter ones to bread with the smarter ones . And some people call animals dumb .

Dsheetz ,
If you and others are selectively breeding coyotes , that sounds like job security for you and other professional hunters . GOOD JOB !!!

I still think that you , Reemty J , nicholasjohn , Airedale56 , and others who have spent so many days of your lives in pursuit of these amazing animals , should all gather together , collaborate , and write a book about your experiences .

This thread , "Ramblings and Such from Hunting Coyotes" is the Best , most informative , and enjoyable postings of any thread that I have read or participated-in on Long Range Hunting in the nearly 10 years that I have been a member of LRH .
Everyone has remained friendly and civil with each other , and nobody is criticizing or belittling your choice of equipment .

I thank ALL of you .
DMP25-06

Everyone has remained friendly and civil with each other , and nobody is criticizing or belittling your choice of equipment
that's because of our age..........:oops:......we are respectful and treat others how we want to be treated.....🍻...and it sure is nice to read others observations and experience's......we learn with our eyes and ears............

Dsheetz ,
If you and others are selectively breeding coyotes , that sounds like job security for you and other professional hunters . GOOD JOB !!!

I still think that you , Reemty J , nicholasjohn , Airedale56 , and others who have spent so many days of your lives in pursuit of these amazing animals , should all gather together , collaborate , and write a book about your experiences .

This thread , "Ramblings and Such from Hunting Coyotes" is the Best , most informative , and enjoyable postings of any thread that I have read or participated-in on Long Range Hunting in the nearly 10 years that I have been a member of LRH .
Everyone has remained friendly and civil with each other , and nobody is criticizing or belittling your choice of equipment .

I thank ALL of you .
DMP25-06

Having been mentioned in your selection of authors, I would have to say that I would only accept if you are appointed to be the editor AND if you promise to participate with your stories. That one about your son's dog on a chain is a mind-blower for sure. What a cagey rascal !!!

The story reminds me of an old buddy back in Pennsylvania, who had a young Airedale. He also had a pet crow, named Lefty, and a rooster named Funky Chicken. Lefty was one of a pair of baby crows he found on the ground at the base of a big tree. Apparently, they had fallen out of the nest, and Skinner took them home to make pets out of them. He put a zip-tie around each crow's ankle, and named them Lefty & Righty. How original. Well, Righty flew away as soon as he figured out how, and Lefty stuck around to suck up a little more of the Alpo dogfood that Skinner fed the bird. ( He also learned to talk, but that's a story for another day. )

Funky chicken got his name because he was too proud and cocky to go in the henhouse when it got cold outside, and he roosted on the fence with one foot pulled up into his feathers. Well, the one he was standing on froze one night, and it fell off. So, he hobbled around the yard with one short leg and no foot. It was quite a sight to see.

Well, the Airedale puppy used to sleep in the shade, chained to a tree out in the back yard. He was being put out as fox propellant to keep the yard-birds safe. Both the crow and the gimpy rooster would torment the poor little dog, and he would lunge at them only to have his chain come tight and darn near break his neck. This went on for most of the summer, with the crow dive-bombing the poor dog and the rooster strutting around squawking at him just out of his reach. While it was comical to watch, we all figured that these birds were going to drive that poor dog crazy, but Skinner insisted that the dog would figure it out and he would catch and kill them both.

One day, it all came to pass. We were pulling into the driveway for our Thursday evening euchre party at Skinner's house, and his wife had gone bowling. It was going to be a bunch of guys babysitting a whole passel of little kids, playing cards, grilling bambi-burgers, and draining beer bottles. Hot dog - big-time fun for the lads. That was when Skinner told us the story :

The dog figured out that if it lay down closer to the tree and left some slack in the chain, he'd be able to get those obnoxious birds. He nailed them both in the same day, and chewed each one of them all to ribbons. No more lefty; no more Funky Chicken. Happy dog. When the dog was done, there was nothing left but two bloody smudges on the ground out in the yard, and a grinning dog.

that's because of our age..........:oops:......we are respectful and treat others how we want to be treated.....🍻...and it sure is nice to read others observations and experience's......we learn with our eyes and ears............

Darn near everything that is important to learn is easier to learn when we are older. The resistance goes away when we get old enough to put our egos aside and listen. In fact, EVERYTHING got a lot easier once I figured out that I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I have learned a lot more from listening than I ever did from talking. Too bad I didn't figure that one out a long time ago ……...

Reemty J , you sir are 100 percent on the money . You and I grew up in a different era . It is so refreshing to visit with others with out the chest pounding ect. I think that if we keep this thread going and enjoy telling each other about our experiences that the book will be with in these posts for Len or someone to put together . I have enjoyed doing what I have done with hunting and trapping coyote . I looked for an apprentice to train but most didn't want that life style or wanted something I couldn't teach them . Most of all I'm kind of a loner and like being out by myself hunting but I enjoy sharing the things I have learned with others . So many years I have worked all but maybe 10 or 15 days out of the year and most people don't want to do that . But then I grew up not knowing what a day off was except for special holidays .

NicholasJohn , We had a little dog that a squirrel would tease like that after a few months it too figured out how to get the squirrel to come closer . It took him a couple of week retraining the squirrel but he got him .

We all have some thing that we can share with the rest of us here about hunting or calling coyote . Some of us may feel that it isn't interesting enough to share with the rest of us so they don't want to share it but we would like to hear what your experiences are they all have something to be learned by others . Please feel free to join in and tell us about your coyote or other good happenings .

We don't selectively bread them intentionally it just happens because most of the time people get the cream off the top and don't fight for the others unless they are there to get the trouble makers .

And the great stories keep coming! Thank you DMP25-06, Nicholasjohn, ReemptyJ, DSheetz and everyone. I believe if you don't learn something while out in nature every time then you weren't paying enough attention. It's amazing how smart those cagey critters are.
DSheetz, I would give almost anything to be your apprentice! Any of all of yours for that matter! A good friend asked me once "how do you get experience?" Not sure quite how to answer he says "from making bad decisions". Man is that the story of a lot of life or what! As I've said before I'm new to the coyote calling thing and I get more experience every day I go out.

I was out with a new guy one time he was kind of full of himself always talking telling me how much he knew ect. . We went down this draw where I knew there was a denning pair and got set up . As is usual for me I watched where I set up checked for rattle snakes in a sage brush ants and cati. then got settled in . I watched the new guy plop down by another sage , he didn't check for anything just plopped down . I waited a few minutes and started my calling series . After 10 or so minutes I see him start moving around then start swatting something then he jumps up and started cussing and yelling . He looks at me and goes why the ---- didn't you warn me about those ants . Well I'm not your mommy and you told me you knew what to look for so I kind of figured you knew to look where you sat . A lot of laughing latter he got over me and was ok .

Recent Posts