quickload worth getting?

big_matt_duq

I am wondering if quickload would be a worthwhile purchase. I have 5 new to me rifles to work up loads in and 4 of which I have never loaded for the cartridge before. I have always used reloading manuals and online resources from the powder manufacturers but have been noticing that not all the data is full pressure. Like for instance, some of hodgdon's data seems like they just quit before finding max. Mainly I am hoping that it would save some time with better starting load and max data and help picking some powders appropriate for using in a few rifles.

To me it's not worth it. I find it easier to load up some rounds and shoot them, the more I can spend outside on the range the better. The one thing that quickload doesn't do well is non Saami chambers. I had someone quickload my 28 nosler load and it says I should have died shooting it. But it's because it has a very long throat. Same as my 6.5x284 Norma. I am fine with book starting data. But that's only my .02$

quick load is not a loading manual. it is great once you have data on your gun it is good with helping with powder/ bullet combos that are not listed. but it is not a replacement for a manual

I guess I can see what you mean. Never really thought of it as replacing my manuals but more of an evaluation tool to pick powders to try and have an idea where max would be. From the sounds of it, I am overthinking things and should just stay with how I have always done things. Just don't have the range time I used to and was trying to cut development time down. (Yes after rethinking this, it is not smart) Having to do new load workups for 7 total rifles this year is a bit overwhelming.

You will need a chronograph with Quickload, the burn rate in Quickload need to be adjusted until the Quickload velocity matches the chronograph. After doing this the chamber pressure readings will be more accurate. You will also need to get the H2O case capacity of a fired case from each rifle for better velocity and chamber pressure readings.

If you do not tweak and adjust Quickload its output will not be accurate and close to the manuals.

Example with the .223 the case capacity defaults to 28.0 grains of H2O and my .223 cases have 30.6 grains of H2O capacity. And with the same charge of 25 grains of H335 in both cases the default chamber pressure will be 6,000 psi higher than actual with the default capacity.

Last edited:
I have a magnetospeed but the more we talk about this, the longer I think it will take me to do load development. I am just going to pick some powders and do ocw tests like always.

I could see using quickload to help find a starting point for an unlisted bullet and powder combo. as new powders and bullets are introduced, the application needs a database update...

for the money in powder primers and bullets you spend doing bsocw you could buy quickload.
yes it is a tool and only as good as the user.
no you do not need a reloading manual if you have ql.
i would not be without it.
measure YOUR CASE VOLUMES AND USE THEM
MEASURE YOUR BULLET LENGTHS AND USE THEM
log the kj/kg that makes ql velocity match your velocity.

I have a magnetospeed but the more we talk about this, the longer I think it will take me to do load development. I am just going to pick some powders and do ocw tests like always.

Quickload has been a huge part of my reloading process. Being able to see endless variables, combinations, and parameters saves you money on components and time at the range. It's an incredible resource for wildcat cartridges and starting points. Quickload is an invaluable tool for both the weekend shooter and the competitive shooter. The time and money saved is worth every dollar spent on Quickload.

I personally think quickload is worth every penny I spent on it. Like most other tools, IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR LOAD MANUALS! Neither is a chronograph or your buddies best loads. But all these information sources have great value.

If you take the time to calibrate Quickload using the water capacity of fired cases, overall length of loaded rounds, velocity measurements, and powder lot variables, it can do a great job of minimizing the wear and tear on your rifle and reloading components.

It can also help you with unlisted loads and zeroing in on the best powder to avoid compressed powder loads. If you have every screwed up a competition seating die using a compressed load, that alone would have paid for quickload.

I like it and I wouldn't be without it.

not sure just how compressed your problem loads were, but 1-3% is manageable and not an issue in anything i have loaded for.
a generic statement that compressed loads ruin dies is irresponsible.

I personally think quickload is worth every penny I spent on it. Like most other tools, IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR LOAD MANUALS! Neither is a chronograph or your buddies best loads. But all these information sources have great value.

If you take the time to calibrate Quickload using the water capacity of fired cases, overall length of loaded rounds, velocity measurements, and powder lot variables, it can do a great job of minimizing the wear and tear on your rifle and reloading components.

It can also help you with unlisted loads and zeroing in on the best powder to avoid compressed powder loads. If you have every screwed up a competition seating die using a compressed load, that alone would have paid for quickload.

I like it and I wouldn't be without it.

not sure just how compressed your problem loads were, but 1-3% is manageable and not an issue in anything i have loaded for.
a generic statement that compressed loads ruin dies is irresponsible.

I would agree in general, and I certainly DID NOT mean to imply that compressed loads ruin dies and I did qualify my response with "competition" seating dies. Perhaps I should have further qualified that by saying REDDING Competition Seating Dies. I have personally ruined 2 Redding Competition Seating Dies with modest (1-3%) compressed loads.

When I first started using the Redding Competition Dies, I pretty much ignored their instructions which clearly say to avoid compressed loads and clearly say that using compressed loads will void their warranty. But after ruining one seating die I paid more attention to it and limited my compressed loads to 1.5%. Then I ruined another die and decided that was enough for me and never did it again.

I know from reading other forum threads and from information provided by Forster that they have a similar problem. I do not know if this applies to RCBS.

As a side bonus, I have come to believe that finding the powder that fills the case without compressing the charge is usually the powder that will shoot best in a given rifle. Quickload is a GREAT help when trying to find that. That said, SOMETIMES a compressed load will shoot best for me, but that's the exception. In those cases, I use a regular seating die instead of a competition die.

I hope that clarification makes me a little less irresponsible in your eyes.

To me it's not worth it. I find it easier to load up some rounds and shoot them, the more I can spend outside on the range the better. The one thing that quickload doesn't do well is non Saami chambers. I had someone quickload my 28 nosler load and it says I should have died shooting it. But it's because it has a very long throat. Same as my 6.5x284 Norma. I am fine with book starting data. But that's only my .02$

I don't see where this is accurate.
QuickLoad has no data entry information that relates to the throat of a rifle, it can't account for a non-standard chamber, and neither can standard reloading manuals, if you are using hot loads and your long throat lets you get away with it then it wouldn't matter where you get your reloading data from, they would all tell you that you should die. The bottom line is that either the person that did the QuickLoad workup didn't use the software correctly (quite common for newer users) or you resorted to cognitive dissonance because you didn't want to accept the predictions of the software.

Many times I've seen people build loads that were over SAAMI max pressure but under the proof testing pressure of the rifle and so the rifle didn't "blow up". That convinced the shooter that his load was safe - it wasn't. Over time stressing the rifle more with those over pressured loads will cause stretching and/or stress fractures. Like most bench shooters though, he will probably change the barrel out before the barrel fails and some unsuspecting buyer will use it as a hunting barrel and it will fail catastrophically for no apparent reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.