Quick Load

Mikiedem

I have been reloading for over 20 years now and for the last 8 have focused only on extreme long range accuracy. My question is quick load a valuable tool that I should invest in? What are some of the benefits that quick load could provide? Any information would greatly be appreciated.

I find QL to be indispensable.

Amazing how much I rely on it researching loads for cartridges I shoot and cartridges I'm just curious about.
The powder selector function is fantastic as is the barrel time calculation function.

Quite possibly the best $150 I have ever spent for reloading.

Thanks for the info, kind of thought that it would be one of those things that once I played with it I couldn't imagine life reloading without it.

Thanks for the info, got it ordered and its on it's way. Have you found a common pressure that most rounds like?

QL gives you the SAAMI or CIP pressure standard for each cartridge which has one.
One of the things I really like about QL though is that you can experiment with higher pressure loadings.
For example, the .280 Remington has a SAAMI MAP of 60Kpsi but several other cartridges using the same case have a 65K MAP. No reason a guy can't run his .280 at 65K in a modern bolt action. The folks who publish the loading manuals however won't usually post loads higher than the SAAMI MAP.
In my modern bolt actions I'll usually load all the cartridges in a case family (7x57 case, .30-06 case, magnum case, .308 case, etc.) to the highest SAAMI MAP within that particular family no matter what the SAAMI MAP is for each distinct cartridge.
That's usually 65K.

Thanks, Quickload should be here tomorrow when I get home from work, can't wait. The new Berger manual arrived yesterday, good read

Man this thing is awesome!!!! Have found myself on it way too much already :D
Questions: Does it have the option of loading different primers into the calculations?
And the ballistic efficiency with my best load is 26.2%, is this low?

My .308 win load BE is 32.8%, but quite frankly haven't even looked at it until you mentioned it.
There are some fields that have real important input values.
Cartridge Length (makes a big difference)
Case Length
Barrell Length (for velocity)
H2O case capacity (makes a big difference)

The 123 button in the tool bar is really nice.

One thing you will soon come to realize every bullet is different, even in the same weight. One might be just fine, another might be over pressure.

I still keep going back to my manuals as verification of load work up.

Enjoy being addictive to a program!!!

Very good point on the H20, I completely overlooked that feature. Case length, COAL, barrel length I all had covered but the H20 makes me happy it has it, thank you for pointing that one out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts