quick load for 6.5x55 please

Predator 22

I have a benchmark barreled 6.5x55 swede 24" tube pre-64 action. Yesterday I was working up to find where I hit pressure with berger 140 hvld and h4831 sc lapua brass. I worked up to 50 grains that was running 2947 fps with no pressure signs at all. Just curious of quick loads predicted pressure. Thanks

I know it's above max in the book. I started low and worked up slow just to see where I found pressure to see the velocity range I was in. I was quite surprised to see the velocity I did with a 140, I didn't go any further because that Is where the 6.5x284 guys get the best accuracy most of the time from what I have read. Primers looked good, no swipe from the bolt, easy extraction/bolt lift, I measured the head just in front of the extraction grove every time and didn't have one thousandth difference between top and bottom load.

Sounds good. I don't know how much, if any, H4831 would vary from lot-to-lot but that might be something you would consider. When you are running on the high end of loads, temperature and component changes etc. can result in some "interesting" phenomenon" that may be somewhat less than pleasant. I have an E.R. Shaw heavy barrel on one of my Swedes. It is a really good barrel....shoots great, cleans like it has been lapped. Have been using H100V with 140gr Amax lately. Very good combination so far. My experience is much like yours in that MAX loads with that powder-bullet combination do not exhibit any incipient pressure problems.

Great velocity you are getting with the H4831...what kind of ES are you getting and what is the accuracy like?

Yeah if I have to change any one component lot I will start low and work back up. I have enough components of the same lot I'm using now to load 700 rounds. As far as es and groups I'm just starting to work up a load for the rifle, I've only had it for a little better than a year and put maybe 20 rounds down the barrel. Pretty pathetic huh. I was planning on working with it today but it's snowing its tale off as I write this. Being gone three weeks a month limits the time I have to play with guns when I'm home, kids and wife come first but I will report back when I get a load finalized. Thanks for the info and links.

I was planning on working with it today but it's snowing its tale off as I write this.

I hear ya! Snowing here this morning too...Zuni Mountains in New Mexico. Bought some of the 107gr Sierra Match Kings for the heck of it....good price....loaded them with a "toward MAX" amount H380, set the OAL at 3.00" and tried them out. Really good and accurate combination. Moving at 3000fps it is a great load for long-range Coyotes.

i'm running a post 64 with 46.5 gr h-4350 2850 fps no pressure signs !!! also going to try h-1000

I have a benchmark barreled 6.5x55 swede 24" tube pre-64 action. Yesterday I was working up to find where I hit pressure with berger 140 hvld and h4831 sc lapua brass. I worked up to 50 grains that was running 2947 fps with no pressure signs at all. Just curious of quick loads predicted pressure. Thanks

You didn't give case capacity or OAL but the Quickload guesstimate is over 68,000 psi at 2952 fps. I had to increase the burn rate to get the velocities to match, at the default settings the velocity was 2885 fps at 63,000 psi with 50 grains of H4831sc.

Time to back down the load.

At accurateshooter.com a long range competitive shooter would increase the load until he had brass flow into the ejector and then back off 1 or 2 grains. The problem with this is brass flow happens at approximately 70,000 psi and the 6.5x55 is rated at 55,000 psi.

marks_zps63d0459a.jpg

Below is from the H.P. White testing Labratory.

Overpressure-boltthrust_zps663146ce.jpg

BoltRightLugCloseup0212192009-1_zps1aqcjc7e.jpg

You didn't give case capacity or OAL but the Quickload guesstimate is over 68,000 psi at 2952 fps. I had to increase the burn rate to get the velocities to match, at the default settings the velocity was 2885 fps at 63,000 psi with 50 grains of H4831sc.

Time to back down the load.

At accurateshooter.com a long range competitive shooter would increase the load until he had brass flow into the ejector and then back off 1 or 2 grains. The problem with this is brass flow happens at approximately 70,000 psi and the 6.5x55 is rated at 55,000 psi.

marks_zps63d0459a.jpg

Below is from the H.P. White testing Labratory.

Overpressure-boltthrust_zps663146ce.jpg

BoltRightLugCloseup0212192009-1_zps1aqcjc7e.jpg
Thanks for running that I have a oal of 3.085 don't have capacity measurements. I'm ok with 60-65k as the 55k is more for the old millatary actions not modern actions. This action is from a .270 win. Pre-64

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.