Question on Stocks for a Rem 700 SA

skookum

I have a custom built 700 BDL that has a McMillan M40 stock on it that I would like to upgrade to something adjustable and with a vertical grip like the A5. I would love to just order another McMillan but I have yet to receive the Game Warden Adjustable that i ordered for another rifle and that was 6 months ago and i don't really want to wait that long again if I dont have to. I am looking at either HS Precision or Bell and Carlson. I noticed they are a bit cheaper which I like but i am wondering if they will fall short on quality. This rifle is getting a new 6.5 PRC Barrel and will be a gun I plan on shooting alot at everything from ground squirrels to mule deer.

I have a B&C probably like you're describing, I like the shape alright but the quality just isn't there. I had to send it back right out of the box due to the two front sling studs being out of line bad, they repaired and sent the same stock back. Monday after bedding it I found a hollow spot beside the trigger guard inlet (Savage) that I filled with marine-tex. I have another one on a Savage also that's just ok for the price but I'll be looking at other options from now on.

Have a B&C and an HS Precision. HS is better. Contact in the bedding block was slightly uneven, but not a big deal since it was going to be bedded. Had to open it considerably for the #4 Rock Creek I installed. Definitely not on the same level as some of the others, but a solid stock choice.

McMillan site
7DEA41DD-FF61-40D2-A974-3EC0FB591053.png
has two of these in stock painted black

Last edited:
HS precision sendero stocks with no palm swell and aluminum bedding block have to been a go to of mine and many others for years. I do not have any experience with grayboe.

The couple Grayboes I've been around the inletting and finish were good, like mention though there a little heavy.

Grayboe looks like a solid option and are currently having a sale. How does their quality stack up against the others?
I've never been around one but they have nothing but good reviews. They are also a sister company to Mcmillan.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.