Question on barrel upgrade, 700 Rem SA

Gar Guru

I currently have a 2005 straight factory Model 700 stainless synthetic chambered in .300RSAUM. Barrel does not have enough diameter to thread for suppressor, and was wondering what companies make a barrel that was 18" or 20" and threaded that would fit my stock channel without any modification to stock but be big enough to be threaded? is this an option? Thanks

McGowen will make any contour you select; if you're willing to open the area on the stock you can order a Remage and install it yourself. Many barrel companies will contour a barrel however you order.

I ordered two contoured, threaded Remage barrels from McGowen last week. I've had great luck with them.

Any barrel maker can make you a barrel with a larger contour for the muzzle threads you need. Then just get it installed by a quality builder. Main issue is that you may not have enough stock material to open the barrel channel up large enough for the larger barrel. Even if you do, with most factory synthetic stocks, enlarging the barrel channel will make already flimsy stocks even worse. The increased barrel weight will exaggerate this stock fore end flexing issue. May be a good idea to look into a new stock as well if your doing this conversion. One that will be much stiffer and more stable.

I've got sporter weight Rem 700s threaded for suppressors. I'd exhaust those options with the suppressor company first. TBAC is who I used and they had a variety of options for thinner barrels.

I currently have a 2005 straight factory Model 700 stainless synthetic chambered in .300RSAUM. Barrel does not have enough diameter to thread for suppressor, and was wondering what companies make a barrel that was 18" or 20" and threaded that would fit my stock channel without any modification to stock but be big enough to be threaded? is this an option? Thanks
send barrel to Magna-Port.... .
they,ll put a cylindrical hole pattern in 1-1/2" of muzzle..or have good smith drill out barrel..... likewise.... just like a Vias m.brake....
MUCH less obtrusive,better to hunt with,looks better than a big ol blob out the on muzzle....
bill

send barrel to Magna-Port.... .
they,ll put a cylindrical hole pattern in 1-1/2" of muzzle..or have good smith drill out barrel..... likewise.... just like a Vias m.brake....
MUCH less obtrusive,better to hunt with,looks better than a big ol blob out the on muzzle....
bill
Think the OPs desire is to reduce noise more then anything. Your recommendation would dramatically increase muzzle blast and with those two types of work, magnaport or vias brake, recoil reduction will be marginal compared to a modern partition style muzzle brake or quality suppressor. Magna port was designed to control extreme muzzle flip in big bore revolvers. It does OK at that but does very little if anything to reduce felt recoil, in fact it often exaggerates felt recoil because all of the recoil energy is focused straight back into the shooters hand instead of wasting some of that recoil energy in muzzle flip……. Again, it was never intended for rifles and thats straight from the man who started the business but he was not one to pass up money when customers asked if they could get their rifle barrels magna-ported……. Dont think this is what the OP is wanting though.

Think the OPs desire is to reduce noise more then anything. Your recommendation would dramatically increase muzzle blast and with those two types of work, magnaport or vias brake, recoil reduction will be marginal compared to a modern partition style muzzle brake or quality suppressor. Magna port was designed to control extreme muzzle flip in big bore revolvers. It does OK at that but does very little if anything to reduce felt recoil, in fact it often exaggerates felt recoil because all of the recoil energy is focused straight back into the shooters hand instead of wasting some of that recoil energy in muzzle flip……. Again, it was never intended for rifles and thats straight from the man who started the business but he was not one to pass up money when customers asked if they could get their rifle barrels magna-ported……. Dont think this is what the OP is wanting though.
Well your experience varies with mine..... and opinion......
a suppressor could be a silencer..... and a muzzle brake does suppress recoil....
.many many people use muzzle brakes on rifles....many many manufacturers make them ,some with integral tuners......as I usually wear muffs when shooting alot.....
I put Vias type muzzle brakes on all my prairie dog rifles....223-243.... without, you could not see hits... with, very good results.... muzzle blast is a result of angled holes...Lotsa people have done scientific testing on recoil reduction/supression ..... they can reduce recoil more than 30%..... If machined correctly and exit hole is about .020" larger than bore size AND concentric to the bore.....
To put a silencer on a 300 RSAUM... in my opinion is not what that cartridge was designed for.....
bill