Question: Ideas for SAKO scope rings.

3sixbits

I have a live varmint rifle, SAKO action with a light varmint taper barrel. The integral bases on the receiver have prevented me from using the scope of choice an 8x32 Nightforce scope with the 56mm objective 30mm tube. None of the SAKO rings allow the mounting of this scope. I sold the scope after spending hundreds of dollars on rings trying to make it work. I wonder if anyone has come a cross a solution for this problem? I would like to put a rail on the action and go with S&B 34mm tube scope, Badger rings. Any hope with this or just forget it and move on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

They all suck. The scope mounting system is my only gripe with Sako. Why can't they just have the receiver drilled and tapped like every other gun manufacturer. With that said, I will say I like the Burris bases the best. It is the only mounting system that gives you much windage control. I am not however impressed with the strength of the metal these are made off. Seems a bit soft to me. I would think with these bases and a set of extra high or even high leupold rings you could get the 56 mm to fit.

Contact Richard Near at Near Manufacturing. www.scopebases.com
He makes a base for Sako's which is taper dovetailed to match up with the receiver. The receiver does need to be drilled and taped for the base, but what you end up with is a rock-solid platform which will accept any picatinney style ring. Richard is a pleasure to deal with and will be happy to discuss your needs by phone.

I used one of Richard Near's tapered bases on my Sako. It was a dream come true and solid as a rock. I did not drill and tap the receiver. I epoxy bedded it and seated it as far forward as it would go with a block of wood and hammer. After all it could only move forward with the recoil and that just would tend to make it tighter the way the base mates up with the receiver. I used the Burris 30mm Extra High Signature Zee rings (weaver style) and they gave lots of scope clearence. If you talk to Richard you can ask him about my mounting method and tell him Sam said hello. Good luck.

Conetrol makes a really nice, strong setup for Sako's too.

And yes, Optilocs SUCK!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif......sakofan...

Many thanks Stugotz! I called Badger Ordnance and was told that they had seen SAKO at the SHOT SHOW with one two years ago. This was mounted on one of there rifles. My action is a 597, one they no longer list. I will get a hold of Richard on Monday. Again thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

YOU GUYS!!!!! Man you ALL are OK! What a major pain this rifle has been. Anytime you get 3,000 plus tied-up in a rifle and can't get a scope to mount after spending hundreds more on rings, well it has SUCKED. That's it, from now on I'm bring all my troubles here to hash-out! LOOKOUT SCHMIT&BENDER here I come. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought I was going to place my order Monday but man they are proud of those bases. I'll see if I can justify spending that much to myself over the weekend.

Well folks I talked to Richard on the phone today (whoops,yesterday) and he thinks he'll be able to take care of my SOCK-O needs, If this works out, look for a huge sale on rings and base from a lot of major makers from yours truly, cause I'm going to clean house and go to one system on everything I shoot that wears glass. I'm sick of hunting up bases and rings ever time I have to swap scopes to test a rig, re- sight in, test loads etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This will not help a Sako 75 but on my TRG-S I took two weaver #36 bases and used Millet Rings so I could get my Leupold 50mm on it. You could take the rifle to a smith and have him drill and tap it.

I wish this action was a model 75 but it's not. This is a model 591 and uses a different mount than the 75's. I think Richard has it covered and I await his results. When I test a rifle it will be much easier to put a target scope on with his system and take that scope back off and switch back to the scope that belongs to that rifle and have a return to zero without doing anything more. Using the KISS system works for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.