Question/help

texas270

A friend invited my to help him test his new 300 RUM load. From a benchrest, after a few very good rounds at 200 yards, I shot it 3 times at 500 yards and it did very well, less than 4" pattern. then, for fun, I shot it off my "hunting rig" which is a 30" tripod on the front and an adjustable bi-pod under the butt from sitting position.

the results shocked and mystified me. both shots "felt very good". one was about 2" high of center and on was about 2" low and they were on the same line 4" apart. plenty good in my book from a field shooting rig.

However, both shots were exactly 11" right of center where all my other benchrest shots with his gun had been. felt like had good trigger pull and no unusual recoil. baffling and concerning.......

any thoughts or comments on what might be going on are much apprieciated!

if i had to guess the problem stems from different shooting positions.your body moves in a different way shooting from a tri-pod than it does from a benchrest.also the gun reacts different being shot from different platforms,ie.bench rest,bipod ect.

Like bogger01 said, position can make a big difference.

Plus, you were shooting about MOA at 500yds.

11" is only about 2 MOA windage. Depending on your bullet and MV, it doesn't take much wind to move a bullet that distance at 500 yds if you don't compensate.

It's twice as devastating if the wind shifts from one direction and goes the other way.

Add all of those things together and 11" isn't hard to fathom.

Run the ballistics for your load and you'll see what I mean.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.