headspace question! help!

TannerGun

Looking to stick a new tube on my sisters 243. Found a 243 Ackley barrel from a guy who didn't use it.

The 243 now is just a standard 700 ADL short action.

The 243 Ackley barrel is a takeoff of a 700 SPS.

Will I need to buy a reamer to make sure the headspace is right, or should I be good to go?! Or... will I not know until I get the barrel screwed on? The AI barrel was already used on a SA 700.

Help!

You wont know till you get the parts put together. DONT assume that if the bolt closes with a cartridge in the chamber that all is OK. You will need to employ the use of a go/nogo guage to know. Too much headspace will cause case head separation. No way to tell till you guage it. If in doubt, take it to a competent smith. If there is too much space the barrel will need to be set back a tad. If there is not enough, then a reamer will need to be used to cut it deaper.

I planned on having a smith screw it on anyways... I guess ill have to see what he says.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.