Question for the Super Long Range Gurus

Johnny5,
I just wanted to clarify that you can expect equal accuracy with the sleeved and blueprinted action as with a custom action.The only benifit I see to the custom action is they are built stronger, will support a heavier barrel and typically operate smoother.
I have a 6BR that I sleeved the bolt on and it shoots extremely well, it is only limited by me. I'm sure you will be happy with it and should be expect sub .250 groups.
FWIW,
308nate

I hope your right. I am really looking forward to reaching out beyond the norm. The local range only goes out to 500 meters but there is no shortage of cutlines, pipelines, and virgin wilderness up here to go out to whatever range you want. I was trying to find out what kind of ranges I should be trying to push out of it. Still curious about what most people have against the sightron.

Johnny5,
it is exactly like I said in the earlier post sightrons are fine for short to medium range shooting ,but at LONGrange they fall short. to give you an example me and Goodgrouper took a friend out last year to get him into the V.H.A. 1000 yard club with his 25-06 his rifle was up to the task but his Sightron scope was so horrific at this range that it was barely worth trying until he got better optics. try Leupold,Nightforce,S&B,Zeiss. I am not knocking Sightron they are GOOD but for LONGRANGE you need GREAT Optics not just good.
B

**** I wish I knew that before. Oh well too late, maybe this one will be an exception seeing that it is their new top of the line model. The SIII's are supposed to be built stronger with tighter tolerances than the SII's so maybe it will be manageable.

Brian now I'm sort of curious. Is it a question of excessive parallax, poor lens coatings for clear distant images or failure to focus at the long ranges or is it a problem with the mechanical design such as bad turret repeatability or to fat of a crosshair or weak retifier tube springs.

I guess another way of asking is, what, in your oppinion, seperates a good scope from a great one?

I guess it all depends on what you will be shooting at. THe Sightrons look pretty good on white gongs and white paper, but at anything over 700 yards on p-dogs or chucks, my excellent eyes couldn't get enough texture or color contrast to see critters scampering about. With Leupolds, Swaros, Leica's, no problem. And most people don't ever see what I see even with the good glass. Not bragging here, just trying to show how inferior Sightron can be for hunting.

GG you raise an excellent point. I have noticed huge differences in optics at longer ranges when it comes to color and contrast. Some optics look the same at 100 to 300 yards on paper and animals but when the yardage goes to 500 plus you start to see the big picture if you will when it comes to clarity and contrast.

For heavier bullets in the 300Win I have been shooting Retumbo the last month and I love it! I am getting really good accuracy and velocity with 200 Accubonds and 82 grains of Retumbo I am getting 3051FPS and with 190 Sierra MatchKings and 84 grains of Retumbo I am getting 3117FPS. My rifle is a stock Sako TRG-S with a 26inch barrel. These loads are compressed but in my rifle there is no pressure with either load. Remember to work your way up with any loading data.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts