Question for Texas landowners concerning stock tanks

txnub

I heard a rumor that soon the requirements will change around being able to dig a stock tank on your property in Tx. Something about a concern for the ability of larger lakes to collect water. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I did a quick internet search and didn't come up with anything.

i don't think many people ask they just dig. i know thats what we do fixing to dig another one here real soon. i never heard of any think like that maybe water wells but not ponds

I do believe this fella is right , no-one asks , we just pick a spot & start digging . I dug mine about 4-5 yrs ago and havent had any problems with the county taxes ,or any type of government ,county or state . Im in Brazoria county Tx, just outside of Sweeny to be exact . You might check with your county tax accesors office,they can be very hepful ,believe it or not ,LOL !! Hope this was somewhat helpful . Happy digging & HAPPY THANKSGIVING ! God bless!!!!

There should not be any problem digging a pond.

The gray area comes when damning up a stream to create a pond. This interrupts the runoff
into the river and lake system and sometimes needs a permit.It may also effect the land owner
down stream if he has livestock.

In some states a permit is required and sometimes damning is denied.

I would ask if Texas requires a permit before I did it (It would be a shame to have to tear
it down after spending the money).

J E CUSTOM

In Tx ,the only time you need a permit is if you are inside of the city limits , or near a pipeline right of way ,close enough to where,if new pipes were ever to be added to said r.o.w , the pond would hinder a problem . Like the gentalman said though , It never hurts to find out for sure ,just to be on the safe side . Good luck !!! Hope all works out & happy fishing !!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.