Question for Savage Axis owners

megastink

Seeing as there aren't many aftermarket stock options, zero of which are bedded synthetic, I have one simple question: if Choate were to make a fully aluminum bedded, synthetic stock in one of their shapes, and it sold for their typical $270, would you buy one? The way I look at it, you can spend $200 to get a Boyd's, add pillars, and bed it, or you can spend $400 for the MDT LSS chassis (plus another $150-$300 on furniture). I'd happily spend $270 for a drop-in bedded option. What do you think?

yes mite be interested. would have to see how it was made. i have two that i would like to play with

It's not Savage's best action, but this question is for those of us that's already own Axis rifles. Thank you for your helpful input :)

I got it, wasn't trying to be snarky just practical.

Back to your question on Choate stocks. I have used the sniper and varmint models and didn't like them for prairie dog guns. I have a tactical stock that I do really like. It's a little on the heavy side and I don't like the rail system for using a Harris bipod which was not hard to fix. The stock fits me well and is very stable. Also good looking to my eye.

The funny recoil lug on the Axis requires precision mounting in the stock. A gunsmith friend of mine put on a regular savage small shank lug from a model 10 then bedded it into another stock with good results although labor intensive. The threads of a 10/110 barrel are the same except the length of the threads is longer because of the recoil lug thing.

Good luck on your project.

I actually have a factory 308 heavy barrel savage axis and it's shooting sub half inch groups. I don't ever plan on sinking a dime into it. But if I was to go with a stock I would definitely would consider a better option then a Boyds stock. I have had two bad experiences with them. I will never buy another.

I got it, wasn't trying to be snarky just practical.

Back to your question on Choate stocks. I have used the sniper and varmint models and didn't like them for prairie dog guns. I have a tactical stock that I do really like. It's a little on the heavy side and I don't like the rail system for using a Harris bipod which was not hard to fix. The stock fits me well and is very stable. Also good looking to my eye.

The funny recoil lug on the Axis requires precision mounting in the stock. A gunsmith friend of mine put on a regular savage small shank lug from a model 10 then bedded it into another stock with good results although labor intensive. The threads of a 10/110 barrel are the same except the length of the threads is longer because of the recoil lug thing.

Good luck on your project.

But the action screw spacing on the Axis is different than any spacing in any previous model. Did he drill new action screw holes in the stock?

I actually have a factory 308 heavy barrel savage axis and it's shooting sub half inch groups. I don't ever plan on sinking a dime into it. But if I was to go with a stock I would definitely would consider a better option then a Boyds stock. I have had two bad experiences with them. I will never buy another.

This response really makes me think. I just realized that I ASSUMED that my Axis needs aftermarket parts for it. The thing is, I have no benchmark. I've NEVER fired a shot with it!

Looks like I'm heading to the range this weekend to break in the barrel and print a few groups. I've already mounted my SWFA 3-15 on it, so we'll see if she can shoot.

Heck yea. See what it will do. The trigger pull is the worse part but can be modified or replaced. That's where I would invest money first. I am loading imr4064 ,CCI primers,Nosler 168 custom competition bullets and brass that says Ted Nugent head stamp.

Heck yea. See what it will do. The trigger pull is the worse part but can be modified or replaced. That's where I would invest money first. I am loading imr4064 ,CCI primers,Nosler 168 custom competition bullets and brass that says Ted Nugent head stamp.

My Axis has an accutrigger and heavy barrel. It's a 6.5 Creedmoor, but I'll shoot factory ammo to break it in. Let's see!

Does anyone make an upgraded stock for an axis? I saw that Boyd's does but I'm not super interested in a Boyd's...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.