Savage axis bolt question

Welderboy11972

Hello guys, my son just called me with a problem with his savage axis 25-06. He was out with my other son and their friend doing ground hog control for a local farmer. He said after a few shots his bolt wouldn't keep the firing pin cocked when he cycled the bolt. He said he could flip the " mushroom looking thing...lol" on the bolt and it would shoot one round. Then he has to repeat to shoot another round. I would take a look at it but I'm in Eastern Maryland working and he's in South Western Virginia. Would something be broke, firing pin spring, trigger spring, etc? Maybe a good cleaning and oil? Thanks for any help.

The reason I ask is, I ran into this problem with a friend who decided to to the trigger spring trick, and he went ahead and "polished the sear". Big mistake it would fire upon closing the bolt.

Good thing is, the yellow thread locker Savage puts on at the factory, should still be on it if no one touched it. I would contact them or a gunsmith.

Thank you very much. As far as I know, the only thing that has been done to it, was I took the stock off and dip it camo with one of them dyi dip kits and I switched out the scope that came on it, with a vortex. I will tell him to take it to the local smith. Thanks again.

The "mushroom looking" thing is most likely the cocking pin piece...don't have a clue what he would mean by "flipping" that. If it is not a loose hex head bolt retaining screw at the back of the bolt then it is internal. Something is obviously keeping the sear from staying engaged. Post this at savageshooters.com and you will get all the information you need and then some.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.