SAVAGE AXIS II

I have a Savage that has been trued and 7 that haven't. They all shoot very similar to each other. The most accurate of my savage rifles wasn't trued. However I don't see anyway it would hurt. I also haven't ever built off an Axis just 110 and 111s. My buddy bought an Axis for $200, we bedded the lug and broke in the barrel. It shoots .5 MOA with factory ammo and for $200 he was pretty happy.

Thanks for all the input, I wanted it in a 6.5 Creedmoor but all the store had left was 308 so that is what I bought.
Of the people that have them, do/did you find one brand of factory ammo shot better than others? I am thinking I may just try some factory before I mess with handloading, just to see if it has any potential before I think about another barrel/cal.

My buddies gun was a 6.5 Creedmoor. He used the Hornady precision hunter, I haven't bought much factory ammo myself.

Thanks for all the input, I wanted it in a 6.5 Creedmoor but all the store had left was 308 so that is what I bought.
Of the people that have them, do/did you find one brand of factory ammo shot better than others? I am thinking I may just try some factory before I mess with handloading, just to see if it has any potential before I think about another barrel/cal.

A common factory load people use for checking a gun's accuracy potential is the federal bluebox of ammo. Probably the 150gr variety for your .308. Someone suggested it to me for my Tikka .30-06 and they were right ... It was accurate.

Ok, first off, I have never owned a Savage centerfire in my life, but after reading all the stuff about how great they shoot and that you can change bolt heads out and go from standard .473 to mag. or what ever, I figured why not. The fact that Savage has a $50 rebate on the Axis made me jump.
I got a SS Axis II in 308 with plans on just changing the barrel to something else (don't ask me what cause I don't know. It is part of being a gun nut)
Anyway, after I bought the rifle I figured I need to know what I have gotten myself into. I found that the hole spacing is 4.75 (not the exact number but I can't remember what it is) for the action so aftermarket stocks are somewhat limited.
What else do I need to know, tricks to get the best out of a Savage, etc. I have been a 700 man with some Tikka's, and a few Ruger's thrown in, but like I said, this is my first Savage.
Thanks
John
My older Savage Edge with the RifleBasix trigger I installed in .223, is one of my best shooting guns. For the money-ya just can't beat em!!

I walked into Scheels Fargo store 10
Years ago and bought a savage axis 223. Regular trigger. $179.00. I should have bought all they had ! Shot it 1.5 groups factory ammo. I thought will some times you win some times you don't. Talked to a guy at work. He said bring it over to house Saturday we will Cut 2 coils off of trigger spring.
I though will ok. Trigger went from 8 pounds to 2.9 On 5 checks in a row. Gun went to 1 inch groups. I bought boyd thumb hole stock for $169.00. Now shoots Dogtown ammo 5/8 to 7/8 groups. Lighten trigger and boyd stock will do the job. MD

A common factory load people use for checking a gun's accuracy potential is the federal bluebox of ammo. Probably the 150gr variety for your .308. Someone suggested it to me for my Tikka .30-06 and they were right ... It was accurate.

I second the cheep Federal blue box ammo. I have a friend that had a gun shop, now retired, for many years. He offered rifle scope sighting in and my hunting buddy did the sighting in. When people did not provide their own ammo the Federal blue box ammo was what was used. It was some of the most accurate ammo no matter the caliber over all than any they ever tried. It has just a standard cup and core bullet but it also killed white tail deer very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.