Quest for g7 ballistics programs (can we please make a list)

We've got no distribution channel so honestly I must recommend you purchase software currently available.

For a side project like this, time to market is of secondary importance so unfortunately it might take some time before we can offer the software -- but we are determined to offer it, not everyone will an iPhone or a full-featured PDA so I definitely see a market among the low end cell phone users who are also long range shooters.

Thanks magg,
I've added 'Ballistic' to the list.
Seems iPhones are covered now with 2 apps supporting G7.
I'm itching to get started on something for other mobiles (blackberry, windows mobile, etc).
-Bryan

How would the Iphone ballistic programs compare with the Patagonia ballistics?? Same features and reliability?? The Iphone price is way lower but thge hardware is possibly more expensive and delicate.

Our cell phone software is feature complete and bugs have been ironed out as far as I can see. I had to remove localization support for the time being ( to hurry up some heavy code refactoring ) so just metric for now but it'll be quick to re-implement imperial units, it seems we're in no big hurry as far as distribution channels go... Still looking for interested parties to take care of distribution or to buy the whole IPR off us.

Toyed one day with G7, below is a mrad elevation comparison chart of our "G7" vs. JBM. 190SMK @ 900 m/s, std ICAO conditions, 5 cm sight height, 100m zero. G7 BC 0.270. The bullet goes subsonic already at 1200 meters so a mere 0,1 mrad of error at 1400m isn't too bad at all! Of course the error would be even further out if the bullet started off with more velocity, this is something like a 300WM load ( I get 850 m/s in my 23" 30-06 with N550 ) .

Code:
range 	JRu 	JBM
200 	0,4 	0,4
300 	1,1 	1,1
400 	1,9 	1,9
500 	2,8 	2,8
600 	3,9 	3,9
700 	5,0 	5,0
800 	6,3 	6,3
900 	7,8 	7,8
1000 	9,4 	9,4
1100 	11,4 	11,3
1200 	13,6 	13,6
1300 	16,1 	16,1
1400 	19,1 	19
1500 	22,6 	22,2

I'm not sure of how correct JBM is but as far as I know it's close, and this is just to point out we can fit different types of curves without any changes to our software -- G7 as an example. I still think it's pretty awesome for something that goes with you all times ( normal cell phone ) .

BTW -- Thanks a lot Bryan, now we need to make another name change for our software! ;)

I suggest you watch it at Photobucket so you get full screen, at least my Firefox doesn't expand embedded video to full screen for some reason...

( select the ^ symbol in the lower right corner, then select "View on site" )

The pre-release version only supports SI / metric units but true release will support MOA/Imperial units. There's also the option of displaying total number of scope clicks, but by default the software displays milliradian values. I'm also considering adding a "corrected range" elevation output for BDC users.

Demo.flv video by ruistola - Photobucket

It's not released yet as we lack a distributor. Unless something else comes up, we'll be having some meetings at IWA in March 2010. If that comes up empty, we'll have to look at digital over-the-air distribution of cell phone software but I'm not really excited about that choice.

My plan B is to just freeware the whole thing if all else fails, there's still too much work invested to see it just gathering dust. But don't hold your breath about that one, I'm still hoping someone would pick up the IPR and create a business around it -- the technology is solid. I have a day job so I'd just prefer to fire-and-forget it and maybe earn a dollar or two in the process.

I just want to see it out there in use -- be it LR hunters, or western military forces. Actually an older version of this software is actually being prototyped by volunteering individuals in Afghanistan.

Great Idea Mike.

I'll add the one's I know of. As others post new ones below, I'll update this list so that they're all compiled in one place.

JBM (free; online)
RSI ($99.95; PC)
Point Mass Ballistics ($39.95; PC) this is the one that comes with my book
Al Bal (free; PC) Download-able from JBM site
BulletFlight (~$12; iPhone app)
Ballistic ($10; iPhone app)
LoadBase 3 ($148.50; PC and PPC)

I've been talking to Gerald Perry about adding G7 capability to Exbal. I don't know if he'll do it, he was talking about another program that he's working on that will have G7 though. I'm sure the more pressure he gets from customers the more likely he would be to consider adding G7 to Exbal.

-Bryan
hi there Bryan , unless i am missing some thing using your program from your book i cant seem to print drop tables and charts . is the program with your book just a thinned version of the actuall software please

thanks Bryan mark

Mark,

When I wrote that program, I didn't know how to make a print function. I've since figured it out and created a similar program for Berger, which is free for download here:
Berger Bullets - Ballistics Program

You can create a printable text output using the print menu in the upper left corner.

Take care,
-Bryan

Great Idea Mike.

I'll add the one's I know of. As others post new ones below, I'll update this list so that they're all compiled in one place.

JBM (free; online)
RSI ($99.95; PC)
Point Mass Ballistics ($39.95; PC) this is the one that comes with my book
Al Bal (free; PC) Download-able from JBM site
BulletFlight (~$12; iPhone app)
Ballistic ($10; iPhone app)
LoadBase 3 ($148.50; PC and PPC)

I've been talking to Gerald Perry about adding G7 capability to Exbal. I don't know if he'll do it, he was talking about another program that he's working on that will have G7 though. I'm sure the more pressure he gets from customers the more likely he would be to consider adding G7 to Exbal.

-Bryan

To this list add QuickTarget Unlimited which is one of two exterior ballistics programs that comes with QuickLoad.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.