punch out a .308 to 30/06?

the444shooter

Is it easy to finish out a barrel that's been short-chambered in .308 to a 30/06? One gunsmith I talked to said if it's already at .308, he couldn't get his pilot lined up to continue chambering.

How difficult of a job is it, truly?

Background: I scored on a new Christensen Arms carbon fiber barrel, (chambered in .308) and have a Rem700 Long action (30/06) and a McMillan HTG LA stock on the way. I know I can run a .308 in a long action, but I'd also like to know my options for punching it out to 30/06?

You have to set the barrel back about 3/4 of an inch, if the barrel is thick enough. Otherwise consider the .30-06 Ackley Improved.

Good luck

Jerry

You have to set the barrel back about 3/4 of an inch, if the barrel is thick enough. Otherwise consider the .30-06 Ackley Improved.

Good luck

Jerry

Go for the .30-06 Improved 40º...You won't regret it. Mine shoots Berger 185 VLD's between 2,900-3,000 fps from a 26" barrel. That's pushing a close gap with the .300 WinMag.

dammit---this wasn't the reply I needed, lol.

I was already thinking about it, but my sensible side was saying, "look at all this .308 ammo and brass you have...."

I was seriously considering it (still am, since I've got a LA/std bolt face to play with)

We'll see after this season, since the donor gun will be needed for this fall yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.