Pulling Bullets?

jsthntn247

After you pull the bullets do you normally run the cases back through the sizer die? Figured the necks might get loose after the inertia bullet puller.

You might be able to get by without resizing. But, it's probably best that you just go ahead and do so for consistency.

I remove or raise the primer punch pin and run them back through the size die so I save the primer and get consistent necks again.

I was always afraid to shoot pulled bullets for anything but plinking.........Just me, no scientific proof of anything there. Never tried an inertia hammer though.?? my puller puts marks on the bullets. I was more worried about the bullets than the cases.

Shane, I also end up using pulled bullets for foulers too...Inertia pulled bullets usually end up buggering up the tip on a pointed soft point...and the collet puller makes those small marks that just might affect accuracy when you need it most...In an earlier post you mentioned trying only a few at a time when working up loads...That works great for the both of us because we have bench rests right out the door....That way pulling bullets is becomes a fairly uncommon practice and if you only have a few to pull then it is not much of a hassle....When pulling small caliber bullets I usually just grab them with a vice grip and pull them out with the press and toss them...Time is valuable and .224's are relatively cheap if you only have to discard a few....

On another note if a load seems a little warm or just plain not accurate I sometimes try seating the bullets deeper and give them one last whirl before pulling the bullets...Sometimes .010 or .020 thou makes a big difference in both accuracy and pressure....

Back to the original question...The bullets usually seat at near the same pressure for me providing the seating pressure was fairly low to begin with...If I am still in preliminary load testing I may or may not resize after pulling (as long as the seating pressure is relatively the same)...If the loads are defined and part of a larger lot then I will re-size and adjust the neck tension according to the rest of the lot.....

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.