PST Gen II vs VX5HD

Csafisher

Looking to get a new scope. I have narrowed down to the 3-15 pst gen 2 and a 3-15vx5. Both $900. My main concern is the glass. I have heard good things about the leupold. I do have a vortex HST and while I'm very happy with its finish and repeatablilty, the glass leaves a lot to be desired. Does anyone have experience with both? Another notable mention may be a Burris veracity or Nikon monarch

Good question, I have searched high and low for a comparison, but at this point I think they are both just too new.

I have looked at both, and I don't think the glass will hold you back on either. Leupold's coatings will probably give the HD an edge in twilight, but this is presumption on my part.

What swayed me to choose the Leupold was its significantly lower mass and the zero lock on its one exposed turret.

Ya it's going on a hunting rifle so weight is a consideration. That zero lock seems nice

I went with the VX5HD due to weight alone. It's a nicely featured scope with crystal clear optics that weighs in at 19 oz. IMO it's the best LRH suited scope available at it's price point. Watch for Christmas sales, you could probably get into one for around $750.

For a hunting rig I'd go vx5. Lighter, mich better low light performance. Pst probably better for a bench rig. Veracity would be a good compromise between the two, probably only around $600 too.

Have a VX5HD......love it. Not a fan of Vortex scopes b/c glass is so-so and they usually weight a bit more than other comparable scopes.

I've seen so many newer Leopold's break is rediculous, I'd struggle buying one. I did borrow a VX6HD and liked it but it also made a trip for repair after 3 shots. In all the Vortex I've owned and mounted which is significantly more than Leupold I've never seen one returned for repair. Hard call.

For a hunting rig I'd go vx5. Lighter, mich better low light performance. Pst probably better for a bench rig. Veracity would be a good compromise between the two, probably only around $600 too.

257, please explain the much better low light performance and bench rest comments. Im not being sarcastic but ordered the pst on a custom 28N and would like to hear your experiences.

I've seen so many newer Leopold's break is rediculous, I'd struggle buying one. I did borrow a VX6HD and liked it but it also made a trip for repair after 3 shots. In all the Vortex I've owned and mounted which is significantly more than Leupold I've never seen one returned for repair. Hard call.

Complete opposite here. Out of the dozens of scopes I've owned through the years to include mid to high end Vortex, NF, March, Burris, Sightron and low to high end Leupold I've never had to send a Leupold back for anything other than reticle upgrades. Problems have varied between manufacturers. Some crapped internal parts, some had wonky adjustments, undersized scope tubes causing ring slippage, spewed debris on the internal lenses, and crooked reticles.

Call me lucky I guess. I've found the new Leupold offerings the best they've ever produced.

257, please explain the much better low light performance and bench rest comments. Im not being sarcastic but ordered the pst on a custom 28N and would like to hear your experiences.
Well generally speaking, leupolds are known for not having the best reputation for tracking accuracy. The ones I've owned have been good, but many people have had issues with them. But, especially when you're talking vx5 or vx6, the Leupold has far and away better glass for low light hunting than the vipers. Even the vx3i is better at dusk. So my general opinion is Leupold for a serious hunting rifle, where shots at trophy game quite often come in the last 10 minutes of legal light. The PST makes an excellent scope for a gun that isn't used in that manner.

I sold the only PST I owned after one hunting season just because of the poor low light performance. There isn't anything wrong with any of the Vortex scopes, but I feel you can usually find better alternatives at the same price point.

Giving advice May not be the best way to introduce my self to a forum, but here it is.

I know Its not on your list and it hasn't been mentioned, But I would recommend looking at Tract Optics.

Tract Toric will come in 3-15x42 or 3-15x50. Just food for thought, It might be worth a call to them. and it will be under budget.

I do not have the toric, I have the tekoa series and have been very happy with the scope and the company. Customer service is outstanding!!!

I've compared the tekoa with my leupold vx-6 (no hd) and To my eyes it's hard for me to tell much difference. Everyone is different tho.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.