Proper way to use a Kestrel in long range hunting

JLDavid

I am buying a Kestrel to help me with wind correction for long range hunting. I need to know the proper way to use it. I have been told you point it at the target/animal and take that wind reading and use it for your correction. I have also been told that you should point it directly into the wind and get the average wind speed then use that speed and clock position to correct. I have 5 to 50 mph correction in my rangefinder but of course that is for a 90° wind direction. I also use BulletFlight which has a handy speed and clock position roller. Just looking for the right way to use a wind meter. Any help is appreciated.

David

I can't seem to find anything on Youtube that doesn't mainly deal with Kestrel setup and input. Do you have a link to a video that discusses getting the wind with a wind meter? What I want to know is what guys do to get the wind value when long range shooting. Do you point the wind meter at the target or directly into the wind? I use a BR2 for range correction.

Modern Day Sniper channel on YouTube has a couple good videos to answer your question. Many others providing similar content as well, I'm sure.

Once you figure out your wind direction (in relation to your rifle), the kestrel would say what side you point in the direction of the wind to allow the flow of wind to go through the fan blades to accurately measure wind speed.

I am buying a Kestrel to help me with wind correction for long range hunting. I need to know the proper way to use it. I have been told you point it at the target/animal and take that wind reading and use it for your correction. I have also been told that you should point it directly into the wind and get the average wind speed then use that speed and clock position to correct. I have 5 to 50 mph correction in my rangefinder but of course that is for a 90° wind direction. I also use BulletFlight which has a handy speed and clock position roller. Just looking for the right way to use a wind meter. Any help is appreciated.

David
You need to point the Kestrel at the target to get the direction of fire reading (not a wind reading) then once the Kestrel has the direction of fire, you point it directly into the wind and take a wind speed/direction reading. Using the direction of fire reading and the wind speed/direction the Kestrel can calculate a firing solution. When pointing the Kestrel, you are always pointing tha back of the device (so that you can read the LED screen).

The best method is to learn to read the wind manually. A kestrel will only give you a wind reading where you stand. In a hunting situation this is generally worthless due to slopes, valleys, trees, creeks, open areas, bullet flight, etc.
Learn to estimate the wind yourself. It is the only way you will understand the why's of how a kestrel works and then how to use it as a tool. It is not an answer.

The best method is to learn to read the wind manually. A kestrel will only give you a wind reading where you stand. In a hunting situation this is generally worthless due to slopes, valleys, trees, creeks, open areas, bullet flight, etc.
Learn to estimate the wind yourself. It is the only way you will understand the why's of how a kestrel works and then how to use it as a tool. It is not an answer.
The Kestrel is a valuable tool in learning to read the wind manually. Since getting a Kestrel last fall, I take it on every outing, take wind speed readings in various conditions and then study the surrounding for visible and audible clues. By doing this I have become much better at manually reading the wind because I now have something accurate to compare my manual reading against.

Last edited:
After reading through this Wind book for rifle shooters , it describes the wind happening at your location as the most important wind reading you can make because of the angle of deflection it will cause the bullet. Regardless of the situation, you still need to know the wind at your location and along the path of the bullet.

Plenty of sport shooters use kestrels to calculate shots at longer distances than most would take hunting, and, up in the mountains or over varied terrain. If I can use a kestrel for that, it will definitely work for hunting. Also, a kestrel is a great tool to learn how to read winds. I'll pull mine out and check vegetation to see what it looks like at different wind speeds to gauge.