Proof vs hells canyon carbon barrel

Proof has set shank lengths, diameters, lengths, and twist. If you want a one off you have to order 10, I understand not going to all trouble to change tooling for one barrel, and what they have covers almost anyone's needs. But does anyone know if HCA will make CF barrels to custom specs? One example would be to have a .30 cal blank with a bigger shank than 1.2 for the 300 Norma magnum.
Mike should be able to accommodate anything benchmark has to offer. They have a large option of rifling and twist rates so pick one that works for you and mike should be able to take care of the rest. Give them a call!

No experience with either however i have had a few BM barrels and that alone would make me lean towards the PROOF!
And what experience have you had with benchmark that is bad? You hear bad quicker than the good in anything, trouble is with any largely manufactured item there will be some that don't meet the quality of the majority.

For a pure hunting rifle, either will work great. Disclaimer, I have only run PROOF to date and have 11 of them on rifles that are all shooters. What I have read about the Hells Canyon rifle has been positive although I am not aware of any PRS shooters using their carbon.
I am 100% familiar with the PROOF testing which is why I run them and would like to see some verification data from hells canyon on why the 40% resin ration is the "perfect" mix. Anyone have any?
Benchmark blanks are excellent and as stated, for a hunting rifle, either is a great choice especially for weight savings and overall shootability
We all would like tons of tests done without biased results on every and any rifle/caliber. Trouble is that will never happen and we have to stick with stated data and others' experiences. I can't vouch any real world comparisons but the process of HCA on paper makes sense as to why the design is superior for strength and heat disappation. What does that mean in comparison to a equally profiled PROOF barrel I don't know and doubt a hunting rifle will ever notice the difference, or if any rifle. It may be peace of mind knowing your barrel has superior makeup because some people are into that. For the PRS route I don't think a carbon barrel makes sense for other reasons and I think that is why most people don't run them. It's a very, very narrow field where the nit picky will argue and notice a difference between all these variables. For the rest of us buy what you want and it will most likely work out as expected!

JMGamesniper19

From my limited experience with epoxy and resin in the Maritime industry there is an ideal resin to composite ratios ie(carbon, Kevlar, fiberglass, etc). The purpose of the resin is to hold the materials in shape and also to spread load and strength between the individual fibers. Excess resin adds weight and can actually make for a more brittle product.

HCA statement of 40% resin ratio is generally the ideal ratio, I haven't seen Proofs resin/carbon ratio but would guess it's not very different.

I do not own a Proof or HCA barrel so I cannot contribute to the pros and cons. I will say my Hardy CF barrel is similar to the Christian arms barrel and they both shoot great.

Go Shoot!

We all would like tons of tests done without biased results on every and any rifle/caliber. Trouble is that will never happen and we have to stick with stated data and others' experiences. I can't vouch any real world comparisons but the process of HCA on paper makes sense as to why the design is superior for strength and heat disappation. What does that mean in comparison to a equally profiled PROOF barrel I don't know and doubt a hunting rifle will ever notice the difference, or if any rifle. It may be peace of mind knowing your barrel has superior makeup because some people are into that. For the PRS route I don't think a carbon barrel makes sense for other reasons and I think that is why most people don't run them. It's a very, very narrow field where the nit picky will argue and notice a difference between all these variables. For the rest of us buy what you want and it will most likely work out as expected!

I agree with you up to a point.
PROOF has done what their name says and proven their technology works in military setting. Yes, they did and I have seen the data. It works
I disagree with ANY company stating "ours is the best" without data. That means ANY company in any sport in any genre. Even though it is legal to say so, and the legal term is called "puffery," but to me, anyone saying they are the best needs to be substantiated ESPECIALLY when you are stating your data to prove someone else's wrong

You are right about hunting rifles, and we agree there.

PRS shooters are not offered deals on carbon proof barrels generally. Besides, the cost benefit ratio for a PRS shooter does not make sense. That is probably the same for any carbon barrel.

We agree, for a hunting rifle, most any well made barrel will run fine. Especially if you hand load. So yes, nit picking between any barrel on your average hunting rifle is probably a thin argument. But then again, its fun to talk about right?

JMGamesniper19

From my limited experience with epoxy and resin in the Maritime industry there is an ideal resin to composite ratios ie(carbon, Kevlar, fiberglass, etc). The purpose of the resin is to hold the materials in shape and also to spread load and strength between the individual fibers. Excess resin adds weight and can actually make for a more brittle product.

HCA statement of 40% resin ratio is generally the ideal ratio, I haven't seen Proofs resin/carbon ratio but would guess it's not very different.

I do not own a Proof or HCA barrel so I cannot contribute to the pros and cons. I will say my Hardy CF barrel is similar to the Christian arms barrel and they both shoot great.

Go Shoot!

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing this data.

Agree that the purpose of resin is to hold the carbon material; it is also chemically possible to allow heat to move through the resin, faster than through steel or carbon. This is the basis for a faster cooling barrel which is what PROOF wanted to make. I relay this information from my first hand discussions with scientists that actually make the resin for PROOF barrels and many military high heat projects, (carbon fiber thrust vector exhaust) the type of resin is the key. Not all resin is the same. They have reams of data that I cannot share due to IP protection.

I honestly hope that the HCA barrel runs every bit as good or better than the PROOF. Competition pushes the market and PROOF could use some real competition.

To the 40% ratio. Again, I dont think either one of us can say definitively whether their statement on 40% is true which is why I was looking for data. My stance is if you are going to say it, be able to prove it

Has anyone laid a sendero HCA down beside a light sendero Proof barrel? I was under the impression HCA barrels were true to a Remington sendero size while proof barrels always run big. A proof sendero is quite a bit heavier profile than a true one. I would think a "proof light" would be almost identical to a HCA sendero

Has anyone laid a sendero HCA down beside a light sendero Proof barrel? I was under the impression HCA barrels were true to a Remington sendero size while proof barrels always run big. A proof sendero is quite a bit heavier profile than a true one. I would think a "proof light" would be almost identical to a HCA sendero

This is why we're rebranded our contours to get away from the "Sendero" name, every barrel manufacturer and firearms company has their own version. My "Heavy Hunter" runs a 1.250" tennon OD X 3", is .980" @ 7.5" length, and is .860" at the muzzle (Similar to a Benchmark Sendero, the Rem sendero is more like a BH Varmint profile). You can see the link for the dimensions of my contours.

Cheers!

Mike

Trying to decide between Proof or Hells Canyon carbon barrel for a customer build. Each claim to the be the best option on that market. Is either one really that much better or is it a preference of which steel blank they start with and look of the finished product?
We chamber well over 300 Proof barrels per year, and have NEVER seen one that would not shoot.
The hell canyon rifle is a good rifle also. The difference here is do you want a good shooting factory rilfe or are you wanting a exceptional custom rilfe?

We chamber well over 300 Proof barrels per year, and have NEVER seen one that would not shoot.
The hell canyon rifle is a good rifle also. The difference here is do you want a good shooting factory rilfe or are you wanting a exceptional custom rilfe?

I'm almost 500% sure they are not talking about the Browning Hells Canyon factory rifle but are talking about the carbon wrapped barrels from Hells Canyon Armory. But that's ok...you do you!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.