Proof vs hells canyon carbon barrel

The HCA with a 1.2 shank will weigh 4-5 oz less. That alone is worth it to me. My Fierce is even less. I doubt I will have another Proof as the weight is that important to me. They all shoot the same for me.

The HCA with a 1.2 shank will weigh 4-5 oz less. That alone is worth it to me. My Fierce is even less. I doubt I will have another Proof as the weight is that important to me. They all shoot the same for me.

Is the weight savings that important to you because of how far you walk while hunting? Or how old you are getting? Or a combination of both? I'm not trying to be smart when I'm asking this. I have found myself downsizing from 26-28" barrels to 24" barrels and lighter stocks just because I walk a lot while hunting and the gain I get by using a 26-28" barrel or a heavier stock just isn't worth it to me. And I'm getting older.

Hi Nick!
Jmcmath is correct above, We wrap all our own barrels in house around benchmark blanks. Have started using Brux for muzzleloader carbon barrels as well.

Regards
Mike @ HCA
Very cool, I am not familiar with your work. You'll have to excuse me, the shop keeps me so busy these days I don't get out much. Benchmark makes amazing barrels, with that being said I am sure your products are also.

Is the weight savings that important to you because of how far you walk while hunting? Or how old you are getting? Or a combination of both? I'm not trying to be smart when I'm asking this. I have found myself downsizing from 26-28" barrels to 24" barrels and lighter stocks just because I walk a lot while hunting and the gain I get by using a 26-28" barrel or a heavier stock just isn't worth it to me. And I'm getting older.

Mainly due to where I hunt and the distances sometimes traveled. I have spent hundreds/thousands of dollars shaving weight elsewhere in my pack. The Proof or any plain steel barrel is not worth the extra weight. As I said the accuracy is the same. But since you mention it I am not getting any younger. LOL!

I'm going to order a 6.5 and a 338 heavy hunter from HC. First reason is I like Benchmark barrels. 2nd HC said he'll build whatever I want. 3rd Proof would not do anything out of their way to add a little length to the shank. So even if I wanted a Proof they wouldn't make it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.