Project 1 mile 223!

Clayne B

Yes I know there are better for this that and the other blah blah blah, I wanted to try this so I am

I started with working up a load for my Savage 12 LRPV .223 I have never used Ramshot TAC so it was time to do some load work.

I am using 75gr Hornady BTHP match, TAC powder, New Lapua Brass. .015 off the lands

I neck sized the brass first, looks like the die needs a nip tuck.

Here are 100 neck sized virgin brass

Primed and ready to dump some powder

Now the fun starts, Using the RCBS Charge Master
Look here for more info on that > Weighing In, Scale test. <

Powder dumped and ready to go. I will seat bullets at the range to save on components
Loaded 10 of each at

More info here > Ladder testing at 1k- Detailed article and video - Page 3 - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine <

It was cold and had a bit of an on and off again wind.

Load testing was done at 300 yards

I had other rounds for sighters, and a 24x24 inch steel set of for that

Shot the ladder test from min to max
Driving down to look at the target after each shot and recording it on a note pad, I could not see the hits.

Loads 4-8 looked promising so I shot each of those as a 3 shot group
All of these numbers are Elevation measurements only. The wind was off and on, So I did not worry about that.

4- 22.3

5- 22.6

6- 22.9

7- 23.2

8- 23.5

At this point loads 7-8 were looking promising, So I drove down to paint a few more dots to aim at.

Set up and put 2 sighters from load 7 & 8 into the steel

At this point I had 4 rounds left from row 7 & 8 left so I let them fly!

Measurements done on elevation spread only

7- 23.2

8- 23.5

Looks like 7- 23.2 is the winner, here is the over all group size center to center

Here is the total round count fired, the rest will be dumped and re measured and loaded at 23.2gr

For those of you wondering about pressures

24.1 - 23.2 - 21.4

Here are the "extra" ones, dumped the powder back in the charge master and loaded to 23.2gr

Looks like you have a pretty good start. More power to you for doing something you want to try, not because it is easy, but because it is hard(deliberate JFK rip off).

Have you read Jerry Teo's article?

Shooting A 223 Rifle To A Mile Accurately

Any reason that you went with the 75gn bthp instead if the amax?

What is your barrel twist and length? We have to have details...

I have a Marlin x7 with a weaver tactical that I want to stretch out as far as I can, but we will see how the 1/9 twist factory barrel does. It's a fun, cheap project. It shot the few 53 grain vmaxes i have tried under a 1/2 so I figured I would have to try some heavier bullets to see what happens.

Looks good, keep the updates coming.

Looks like you have a pretty good start. More power to you for doing something you want to try, not because it is easy, but because it is hard(deliberate JFK rip off).

Have you read Jerry Teo's article?

Shooting A 223 Rifle To A Mile Accurately

Any reason that you went with the 75gn bthp instead if the amax?

What is your barrel twist and length? We have to have details...

I have a Marlin x7 with a weaver tactical that I want to stretch out as far as I can, but we will see how the 1/9 twist factory barrel does. It's a fun, cheap project. It shot the few 53 grain vmaxes i have tried under a 1/2 so I figured I would have to try some heavier bullets to see what happens.

Looks good, keep the updates coming.

I did not Google 223 shooting at a mile, I though maybe I was the first :D But someone else shared that with me gun)

I went with 75gr bthp because I have a few boxes of them

Twist rate is 1:7 and 26inches long

It is a factory Savage 12 LRPV

I shot next to a guy shooting a 80gn vld out of a 31" barrel at a 1k yd match and he was tearing up the 10 spot. After when i asked him how precise he had to be with his wind calls for the 223, he laughed and said "not as close as i have to be with my 308"

For those of you wondering how I am going to get out there that far with the needed elevation adjustment, I may put this on my rifle

: Home

and my scope has 120 moa of over all elevation, So Im pretty sure I will be able to hold cross hair's on target

Layne,

I was just out on my hunting lease yesterday and found a great straight lane down a 500yd road that I can easily block off on both ends to ensure nobody will wander into my line of fire and was thinking of taking that LTR I have in 223 with 1:9 twist and loading up some 69gr Matchkings and seeing just how accurately that rifle would shoot out to 500yds.

I'll be following this thread closely to see how you do and although my barrel is only 20" vs your 26" and I'll have the obvious velocity disadvantage due to resulting lowered velocities, I'll still be doing my very best to turn in some respectable results at 500 down my road and then at 600 over my open and windy clear cuts when i get it dialed in at 500.

I doubt I'll be able to stay supersonic at a mile but if my ballistic testing says I can, then I'll give it a shot. (pun intended)

Lead on Bwana... LOL

$bob$

Went out today to do some load work with the 6.5 Creedmoor,

Here are the first 6 shots out of the 223 at 600 yards

I colored the impact points with a marker so they would be easier to see

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.