Problems with scope mounting input needed!

LBEdgin

I have mounted many scope on my guns and for others in my 61 years but I have one giving me problems. I have Leuplod 3i 5x25 (new scope going on a Remington 700 also new) the base ( Picatinny) i used are new along with the rings. After mounting for the 3rd time with the same result. The guns shoots on up and down but; left to right it shoots 24" to the left and each time I recounted it I get the same thing, I ran out of adjustment before I can get it close. Even if I did get close to being on I would be looking thur the side of the scope. I have never ran into this while using Picatinny rail. Both rings and rail are name brands I have on many of my other guns. I welcome any insight on this and I'm I missing something?
Thanks in advance!

I would guess the same as @sedancowboy, the only other thing I can think of is that the travel on the rings isn't the same distance, making one hold over farther than the other (haven't seen it but possible) . Maybe find a way to square off the action and get a true center to see how the holes line up, have you switched the rings front to back?

Sounds like you have some mounting holes off center in the action. I have seen this before with a recent manufacture Remington.
[/QUOTE I If a base was that misaligned it seems it would be obvious . You should be able too run a straight edge across the holes too verify . If they are straight try another scope . I think the scope is faulty.

I would guess the same as @sedancowboy, the only other thing I can think of is that the travel on the rings isn't the same distance, making one hold over farther than the other (haven't seen it but possible) . Maybe find a way to square off the action and get a true center to see how the holes line up, have you switched the rings front to back?
That my next move swapping the scope rings. If that does work I will proceed with sedancowboy ideal. For the most part with the Picatinny bases it lines up close so the holes being off center makes sense. Although I have never seen it either.
Thanks for your input!

Hey , I'm no gunsmith, but why don't you take the rail ,scope , and rings and mount them on one of your other guns and see if you get he same results?
That a good ideal, you guy have given three good ideals in under a hour. And I thank you for that. I'll report back after the weekend to let you guys know how and hopefully what it was.

I'd pull a scope and rings together off a rifle that is zeroed and mount in on that one and see if it's on paper. In my experience most rails are lined up pretty good with the bore and in a lot of cases they're almost dead on across multiple rifles.

I'd pull a scope and rings together off a rifle that is zeroed and mount in on that one and see if it's on paper. In my experience most rails are lined up pretty good with the bore and in a lot of cases they're almost dead on across multiple rifles.
And I'd be doing that just to eliminate the scope as the source of the problem.

My first step at the range after mounting a scope is to pull the bolt and do an eyeball bore sight check. My older eyes have more and more trouble doing that at 100yds these days ... 50yds is a sufficient starting point.

I had the same issue when I mounted a scope on my wife's 700, ended up being an issue with the base to ring interface with a Weaver one piece picatinny base and Leupold rings. Once I swapped out to a Leupold base the scope and rings aligned properly and I was able to zero the rifle.