problem with tempilaq

dmax1800

I tried annealing my brass for the first time this evening. I painted some 650 degree tempilaq on the inside of the case mouths and let it dry. When I heated the end of the case, the tempilaq burned instead of changing from the yellow color. It left a lot of residue in the case. I had to use a case brush to remove the burned black soot.
What did I do wrong??? I got the info from Hand Loading for Long Range 1: Brass Prep

Try this,
Brass.jpg

The green is 400 and yellow 650. As you can see the 650 wants to burn in the neck area where the torch is applied. I use the 400 as a safety mark to ensure no more than approximately one inch of the brass from the neck is heated above 400.

Try this,
View attachment 23000

The green is 400 and yellow 650. As you can see the 650 wants to burn in the neck area where the torch is applied. I use the 400 as a safety mark to ensure no more than approximately one inch of the brass from the neck is heated above 400.
That is what i also do, after i do two cases i then just run the whole batch.

Riley

Both, one mark on each side of the case. In the picture you can't see the other marker so I used two cases in the picture for visual reference.
+1 I also use a 475 which is right at the temp that brass starts the annealing process IIRC.

Using the 400 an inch from the case mouth makes sense to protect the base. But how do you know when the case mouth and shoulder are hot enough since the 650 tends to burn???

It's hard to see in the picture. Look more to the right of the 650 just below the shoulder. You may be able to see the mark is more translucent and not so much black char as with the neck. The torch comes off just as you see the marker turn translucent at the base of the shoulder. Visual indicators are more apparent with the 400 as the flame is not in contact with this mark.

I use the Bench Source machine which makes the process consistent and quick. With some time and practice similar results can be obtained by hand and use of a single torch.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.