Primers Rem. Win. CCI.

Tnwhip

I have an old 1976 Ruger 220 swift. I have had a load that is as old as the rifle. 53 hp match and 37.5 of IMR 4064. 9 1/2 Rem primer. It is not fast but accurate around 1/4 to 1/2" I have run short of the 53s and have worked up a load with 55 v-max. 9 1/2 rem primers. They shoot around 1/2". I am running low of Rem. primers so I went with CCI 200. The groups went to hell. 2 3/8" I tried Win. primers and they shot 1/2" groups again. I would have never thought it would have been that much difference. I have used cci in other rifles and never saw the groups open up like that. Live and learn. Maybe if I went up or down with the load the CCIs would group better?

It's odd how reloading components perform differently in different rifles. I use CCI200 Large Rifle primers much of the time in three of my rifles and they perform very well. However, Winchester primers won't work well at all. Glad you found something that works for you. gun) .................

I have an old 1976 Ruger 220 swift. I have had a load that is as old as the rifle. 53 hp match and 37.5 of IMR 4064. 9 1/2 Rem primer. It is not fast but accurate around 1/4 to 1/2" I have run short of the 53s and have worked up a load with 55 v-max. 9 1/2 rem primers. They shoot around 1/2". I am running low of Rem. primers so I went with CCI 200. The groups went to hell. 2 3/8" I tried Win. primers and they shot 1/2" groups again. I would have never thought it would have been that much difference. I have used cci in other rifles and never saw the groups open up like that. Live and learn. Maybe if I went up or down with the load the CCIs would group better?

Here's another interesting study on LR primers. It indicates that Rem 9 1/2s are one of the most energetic primers while CCIs about the mildest.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/06/primers-large-rifle-primer-study.html

While unusual to see that big of a difference in accuracy changing primers, it's not unheard of and suggests that you are getting poor ignition. While first thoughts are to stay with a hotter primer, you might also look at a new firing pin spring and ensuring the bolt body doesn't have some built-up gunk reducing firing pin energy.

We have shot nothing but Winchester and Remington primers for years. We've never had a problem with them and they've always been very consistent and reliable.

We have shot nothing but Winchester and Remington primers for years. We've never had a problem with them and they've always been very consistent and reliable.

That is all I use to use. Now I get what I can find and CCis are the most common. I still have 2oo Winchesters but I am saving them for my load in my 280 Ackley. I don't want to start messing with that load. If I see some Remington and Winchester or Federal Match I will pick them up. I have a couple of Thousand CCIs.

Tnwhip
Must be something about IMR 4064 and Rem. 9 1/2 LR primers in a 22o Swift. I have been using that combo since the late 7o's, still killing Groundhogs!!!

Hogginking

A gun 30 plus years old, A Weak Firing Pin Main Spring would be a possibility as a problem with a harder primer. I had a 50 year old 722 Remington that took a new main spring to bring it back to shooting sub inch groups. Shoot the gun through a chronograph and see if you get erratic velocity. I was working on a 700 Rem. 243 Win. It had shot good groups, The owner had it glass bedded, It had air pockets around the barrel in the bedding. Would not shoot as well as before. I took the bedding glass out and free floated the barrel. Loaded his load, but was out of Remington Primers, I used CCI 200 primers. It shot 1" to 1 1/4" groups. Went and bought a new brick of Rem 9 1/2, Same box of bullets, Same Can of Powder, Remington 91/2 Primers and it shot 5 shot groups at 100 yards that a dime would cover. Good Luck.

Tried the Russians yet? Might be a surprise in store for you.

SEMPER FI .... SARGESNIPER

Changing the primers of a load is like changing the spark plug or octane of the fuel in your old carburetor car. You need to adjust the load with the primer to get optimum performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.