primers for the 300wsm??

lloydsmale

What primers have you guys been using that gives the best accuracy. right now i have fed match mags cci mags ww mags. I also have cci, fed and ww standard. Ill probably be testing re17 re19 and h and imr 4350 powders. Kind of wondering if mag primers were needed or if they gave any better accuracy in the short mags. I know each individual gun will have its own mind but thought maybe there was a consensious on this here from the guys with experience.

I shoot Win. Large Rifle Magnum in mine.I have shot the Win. Standard Large Rifle in it and did not see that much difference.If you have some Win.760 or H414,(same powders),you might give it a try.65.0grs was giving me 1" groups @ 200yds @ 3150fps with 165gr Interbonds.

Seems a lot of folks use Federal 210M. I use them with H4350, Norma cases, and 180 accubonds. last time checked, I was getting SD of 12. The primer powder combo seems very consistent.

I shoot a cartridge similar to the 300WSM... The 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot, shorter & fatter but capacity wise identical...

RL-17 produces amazing velocity. RL-19 was more consistent (lower es). Haven't tried H4350 which would be more temp stable.

I'm running 215M's for the simple reason that I haven't tried anything else. I would be willing to wager the standard primers may produce more consistent velocity.

A simple primer test would go a long way in proving that point.

t

i will eventually try all the differnt primers i have but i like to get a starting point. What i usually do is zero in on a bullet and powder and load that does the best and then for a last bit of testing vary primers and see if it can be improved.

I have been using cci benchrest large rifle primers. I havent used anything else. Great primers very consistent both my go to guns shoot .2 groups.

I originaly started with Fed 215 and Rem 9 1/2M but went to standard rifle primers looking for smaller groups and lower ES. In a side by side test using my most accurate load and CCI 200, Win LR, Rem 9 1/2, and Fed 210, the CCI's were the clear winner. The others were fine for hunting and I would'nt hesitate to use them now but there was a noticable difference in group size and ES with the CCI's. I also noted a difference in average velocity between the four brands. That was with H4350, 165 and 180 Sierra GK, 180 Partitions, and 180 TSX. Your loads may show a preference for one of the others depending on bullet, powder type and charge weight, etc, so you'll need to try them and see.
Hope this helps

I tried magnum primers. Never worked properly.

Use CCI BR or Fed GM210M with H4350.

208Amax, 2720fps or 2850fps (for windier days)

6" plate 700 yards, 5 in a row. Multiple times.

Try this: High-Tech Hunter in 300 WSM

i will eventually try all the differnt primers i have but i like to get a starting point. What i usually do is zero in on a bullet and powder and load that does the best and then for a last bit of testing vary primers and see if it can be improved.

I'm bumping this thread out of the grave yard to see how your testing went. With the lack of primer availability, especially magnums, I'd like to jump back to regular large rifle but want to make the right choice since it's a brick or nothing these days.

Are the CCI large rifle hot enough with their wider flame pattern? Is that making the ES more consistent in the WSM cases?