Where is the 300WSM brass

RemingtonShooter

He all,

Recently I have been looking for brass for my 300wsm but having bad luck, like most of us in these times. I have found some Norma for I think $2 a casing. I guess I wonder why Paterson and Starline don't make it. Seems odd that is some cases they make brass for very obscure calibers, maybe for benchrest, but not the wsm. Maybe I just don't understand their business model but seems to me making brass with wider appeal would boost sales over a obscure caliber that only benchrest shooters are attracted to. After all, some of them are basically custom but you can still get wsm from any rifle manufacturer. Basically, for example, it would be like if Peterson and Starline are willing to make 280 Remington, but not 270. Just venting, does not make sense me.

Last edited:
I emailed ADG and Peterson on the 300 WSM brass. In 2020 ADG said maybe June of 2021. Now they say maybe spring of 2022. There reply said they are running at full production just for the back order demand. Peterson just said now plans at this time to add 300 WSM

I guess I wonder why Paterson and Starline don't make it. Seems odd that is some cases they make brass for very obscure calibers, maybe for benchrest, but not the wsm.
Obscurity is relative - I'm surprised the Alpha made a 7mm-08 before a 6.5-284 as they seem to be heavily focused on the 6mm calibers and Palma, yet they overlooked one of the F-Class greats for what I consider to be a run of the mill hunting case. Probably a matter of the 6.5-284 fading in popularity against the Creedmoor and 6mm renaissances, so at the time they entered the market arguably one of the most famous calibers of the pre-long range craze just flat wasn't on their list.

Kind of the same hole the RUMs fall into - great rounds, still new relatively speaking, but also outclassed by more efficient designs since everything has been changing so fast for the last 10-15 years. The RUMs were the last gasp of the "make the case as big as possible" phase right before the "now stick the longest bullet you can find as little as possible into neck" phase. The 300 Norma evolution to similar performance of the 300 RUM is proof that overall length is basically capped at 4" by common action length, so case heads and bodies are getting wider to account for the cases getting shorter.

Last edited:
Sorry to here of your dilemma. I also had a difficult time finding brass for my 300wsm. I impulse purchased a T3 lite SST/SYN for a price over 40% lower than average and bought without giving thought to brass or even factory ammo availability.
When I went to buy Hornady 300wsm brass I actually found Federal Power Shock ammo only 20ish% more costly then brass, so I bought a lot of both. I also found and bought A LOT of Winchester 300wsm brass I found in stock quite surprisingly at my local Cabela's and used my Cabela's club points so the brass was was essentially free.
Thankfully found a 200 count lot of Norma 300wsm brass at under $1.20 each and bought it.
But I went my first 4 years of reloading using only Hornady or Winchester brass.
Which to my surprise both gave me excellent accuracy and pretty good SD/ES.
I salt bath anneal my brass after every firing as I got best accuracy and consistent SD/ES at max to 1.5 grains below book max of IMR 4831 depending on which manual I used.

My suggestion is to look multiple times DAILY on line and have your CC on hand to purchase ASAP you find any in stock. That's what I did and it paid off.
Also check here often and post WTB adds here and else where as I also bought a 100 or so rounds of new 300wsm Norma Brass from a member here posted in a FS add.
Best of luck.

Get the norma while you can, they (raug/norma) said they will not ship components to the US for the foreseeable future -- they need it for loading factory ammo.