Primers can make a difference.

LUCKY! 🤣
Actually I will take our 0 - 45 F hunting weather here in MO and let you keep your
summer heat. I like 85 and under. Can tolerate up to about 95. Still slows me down when working.
100+ kicks my butt anymore.
I don't like hot weather (anything over 50*)! Today winds are 30+ and there's been a fire going since yesterday. Fire started about 90 miles (driving distance and unsure how far by straight line) from me.

LUCKY! 🤣
Actually I will take our 0 - 45 F hunting weather here in MO and let you keep your
summer heat. I like 85 and under. Can tolerate up to about 95. Still slows me down when working.
100+ kicks my butt anymore.
Saw -49 couple weeks ago here in central Montana I still went shooting. Wanted to test hunting rounds I in weather I hunt in . We do get 100%plus in the summer so I got more testing to do

I don't like hot weather (anything over 50*)! Today winds are 30+ and there's been a fire going since yesterday. Fire started about 90 miles (driving distance and unsure how far by straight line) from me.
Yikes 😳!! A rancher that lets me hunt his 100,000 acres had his shop burn not long ago I was out hunting and came a running, cold weather here made it a bit hard to put it out but we lost the shop and nothing elese

While not extensive, it's been my experience that magnum primers most certainly can be required... but it depends on the powder and cartridge. One thing to note is that extreme spreads often go up when using magnum primers, although it hasn't made that much difference when it comes to accuracy.

Ball powders especially can be hard to ignite, something I've had trouble with in my .22 CheetaH. The relatively long case (.308) combined with ball powders can cause hang fires and occasionally failures to fire. If I use ball powders, I use mag primers.

This also goes with pistol calibers, especially .357 Mag, 10mm and .44 mag. *with heavy loads!* The load itself makes a difference but be aware that if you're loading relatively hot rounds, a magnum primer will increase your pressure and ES! Always work up carefully!

I've had some erratic velocity results loading hot loads using standard primers (Winchester WLP for Standard & Magnum loads) with some powders, even some that were not ball, but again, these were top book loads with 10mm. I have yet to try any with magnum primers because I found better loads with other powders but maybe one of these days I'll go back and give them a try just for grins & giggles.

I do know that using a magnum primer on a light pistol load that normally leaves a lot of gunk & debris in the barrel doesn't do squat, other than maybe boost the velocity by a (very) few fps. All the crud in barrel remains the same! Rats, another theory down the tubes!
Cheers,
crkckr

While not extensive, it's been my experience that magnum primers most certainly can be required... but it depends on the powder and cartridge. One thing to note is that extreme spreads often go up when using magnum primers, although it hasn't made that much difference when it comes to accuracy.

Ball powders especially can be hard to ignite, something I've had trouble with in my .22 CheetaH. The relatively long case (.308) combined with ball powders can cause hang fires and occasionally failures to fire. If I use ball powders, I use mag primers.

This also goes with pistol calibers, especially .357 Mag, 10mm and .44 mag. *with heavy loads!* The load itself makes a difference but be aware that if you're loading relatively hot rounds, a magnum primer will increase your pressure and ES! Always work up carefully!

I've had some erratic velocity results loading hot loads using standard primers (Winchester WLP for Standard & Magnum loads) with some powders, even some that were not ball, but again, these were top book loads with 10mm. I have yet to try any with magnum primers because I found better loads with other powders but maybe one of these days I'll go back and give them a try just for grins & giggles.

I do know that using a magnum primer on a light pistol load that normally leaves a lot of gunk & debris in the barrel doesn't do squat, other than maybe boost the velocity by a (very) few fps. All the crud in barrel remains the same! Rats, another theory down the tubes!
Cheers,
crkckr
With your pistol comment (especially on 44mag) about magnum pistol primers is load data I've seen use non type. I've never used standard in my 44mag, only 350's. Never checked standard against magnums. Loads were developed for 629's, but using the same load in a DE is a whole lot different.

Saw -49 couple weeks ago here in central Montana I still went shooting. Wanted to test hunting rounds I in weather I hunt in . We do get 100%plus in the summer so I got more testing to do
The cold weather is one thing but the dang wind here kicks your butt. Last 4 days had up to 60 mph winds. Which isn't much here but you aren't going shooting. A place here on BLM I shoot towards east. The wind almost always blows from west so no big deal. Unless it's cold or strong winds. Got about 4 in. snow last night. No wind now but supposed to blow again tomorrow 🙄

With your pistol comment (especially on 44mag) about magnum pistol primers is load data I've seen use non type. I've never used standard in my 44mag, only 350's. Never checked standard against magnums. Loads were developed for 629's, but using the same load in a DE is a whole lot different.
If loading hunting loads of 2400, IMR 4227, or H-110 by all means use CCI-350's in your S&W 44 Magnum, I use the same in my S&W 44 Magnum when using 2400, I have found that Remington 2 1/2 primers shoot better with target loads especially if using Unique in not only the 44 Magnum but also 44 Special and 45 Auto.

I must be missing something. The only change that I see is the primer. The first target indicates "200yds" the second target doesn't indicate distance. The velocity spread is about 40-50fps, not 200fps.

I've got to be missing something.

I'm going to try this with my 7PRC - it seems that a lot of guys are seeing good results with regular LR primers.
What you are missing is 5 different powder charges, 2 different primers and 2 different distances.... everything Has to be different!

Recent Posts