primer seating interfering with head space?

I would have a gunsmith look at the bolt face and show him the primer marking.
Even if there was negative headspace, and primers seated proud of the case heads, the bolt face should not be marking primers like that.
It sounds like the firing pin hole is raised on the bolt face. Maybe always like that. Maybe it formed from past over pressure loads.
Saved me from commenting....lol

Thanks for the input guys. I put a straight edge across the case head that cycled and compared to ones that didn't. Yep, primers not being seated enough. I will step up the case prep work for sure. Again I appreciate the ideas put forth by members of this forum even if the answer is obvious it helps to eliminate possible reasons for the problem.
You should add a primer pocket cutting step to your case prep. The sinclair cutter is great. See below. The floor of the primary pocket moves a tiny bit on every firing. When proplery seated the primer should be slightly below the case base.

Are you mixing Nosler and Hornady cases with the same rifle? How are you getting consistent results from the rifle? Those 2 brass brands are pretty different in thickness. Brass thickness can cause different pressures from the same powder load.

Seat primers with the RCBS Ram Prime unit. Check depth of pockets witn an RCBS Vernier dial Caliper. Uniform if needed.

Screenshot_20200905-180244.jpg
20200905_180555.jpg

You should add a primer pocket cutting step to your case prep. The sinclair cutter is great. See below. The floor of the primary pocket moves a tiny bit on every firing. When proplery seated the primer should be slightly below the case base.

Are you mixing Nosler and Hornady cases with the same rifle? How are you getting consistent results from the rifle? Those 2 brass brands are pretty different in thickness. Brass thickness can cause different pressures from the same powder load.

Vance you may have answered another bewilderment of mine. Same rifle . I I weight sort and keep separate the Hornady and Nosler brass. The Nosler brass is heavier and run neck tensions consistently at .0025 while the Hornaday brass runs considerably lighter and neck tensions between .0035 and .0045. So I assume the Nosler is the better brass. Problem is the most accurate load is 45.0 g of imr 4350 using the Hornaday brass. Question is: Is the lighter brass case volume greater allowing the powder to build up more pressure i.e. velocity? Would the heavier brass Nosler need a heavier charge to find it's accuracy node. I am already at near max charge for the 7-08. I do chomo's and ladder tests on all loads with different components but they are scrribled on 3 or 4 differnt notebooks and am not sure if I can find the velocity difference of the 2 different brass loads with same charge.

Vance you may have answered another bewilderment of mine. Same rifle . I I weight sort and keep separate the Hornady and Nosler brass. The Nosler brass is heavier and run neck tensions consistently at .0025 while the Hornaday brass runs considerably lighter and neck tensions between .0035 and .0045. So I assume the Nosler is the better brass. Problem is the most accurate load is 45.0 g of imr 4350 using the Hornaday brass. Question is: Is the lighter brass case volume greater allowing the powder to build up more pressure i.e. velocity? Would the heavier brass Nosler need a heavier charge to find it's accuracy node. I am already at near max charge for the 7-08. I do chomo's and ladder tests on all loads with different components but they are scrribled on 3 or 4 differnt notebooks and am not sure if I can find the velocity difference of the 2 different brass loads with same charge.
Usually thicker brass requires a lighter powder load to achieve a given velocity than the thinner stuff. I used to shoot Nosler brass in my 300 WSM. I always found the necks to run around .015 on all the cases I used. I'm shooting Hornady in my 6.5 PRC and found those neck to run .0135-0.014.

In the long run I'd pick a brass brand and stick with it. The primer pocket cutter I linked to is designed to only cut as deep as the primer spec. I was just cutting some new 7mm LRM cases today. I was getting a lot of cutting on them even though they were brand new. So, with fired cases you're gonna get some cutting for sure.

Thanks for the input guys. I put a straight edge across the case head that cycled and compared to ones that didn't. Yep, primers not being seated enough. I will step up the case prep work for sure. Again I appreciate the ideas put forth by members of this forum even if the answer is obvious it helps to eliminate possible reasons for the problem.
I had a very difficult time seating primers (Federal) in once fired Hornady factory ammo brass (caliber 308 WIN), so I tried CCI primers and they were easier, but still not as easy as I am accustomed to. So I bought a Lyman Primer Pocket uniformer (less than $30), and it solved the problem. Now I use the uniformer to clean and uniform all my brass as part of my routine brass prep.

Up-date: Since trying a different primer was out of the question due to availability I bought a $15 Hornaday Primer pocket reamer and used it along with Q tipping out all residue in the primer pockets. Rifle cycles cartridge's as smooth as glass now. I do have to use firm pressure when seating primers but no primer marks what so ever. Vance I took your advice and am only loading the weight sorted hornaday brass since that brass consistently out shot the Nosler brass on all different powders. ( Just got back from 2 weeks shooting at the family ranch rifle range in Nebr.) Just wanted to thank you all again for making me a better re-loader. STAY SAFE

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.