Head space

J E Custom

A good video on correct head spacing a cartridge to fit a chamber. Gunsmiths go to a lot of trouble to set the chamber head space, so it is important to make the case fit the chamber correctly.

All chambers can be slightly different and it's up to the re loader to correctly size the cases if accuracy is important to the reloader.

J E CUSTOM

A good video on correct head spacing a cartridge to fit a chamber. Gunsmiths go to a lot of trouble to set the chamber head space, so it is important to make the case fit the chamber correctly.

All chambers can be slightly different and it's up to the re loader to correctly size the cases if accuracy is important to the reloader.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks !!! The visual way of setting up sizing dies described at the end is the way I've done it for a long time. Observing the "line" made by the die advancing down the cartridge. Additionally, when setting up dies, I use a light dusting of powdered mica on top of some light lube on the case . The white mica enhances the line he describes moving toward the neck shoulder jointure as the die is adjusted. Then you take measurements for comparison on future cartridges.

Last edited:
I enjoyed seeing the chamber cut away.

I will say one thing that will raise the red flags here with his comments about sizing the brass to the chamber.

He sounds like he is an advocate for basically neck sizing once the cases are fire formed & not setting the shoulder back until nessacary.

I hear on here so much how neck sizing is all wrong & no one who really knows what they are doing should do anything but FL size every time with 2 thou shoulder bump!

Mind you this vid was filmed in 2015 so in 5 years there must have been some change in how the reloading process happens.

Now release the hounds :p

I enjoyed seeing the chamber cut away.

I will say one thing that will raise the red flags here with his comments about sizing the brass to the chamber.

He sounds like he is an advocate for basically neck sizing once the cases are fire formed & not setting the shoulder back until nessacary.

I hear on here so much how neck sizing is all wrong & no one who really knows what they are doing should do anything but FL size every time with 2 thou shoulder bump!

Mind you this vid was filmed in 2015 so in 5 years there must have been some change in how the reloading process happens.

Now release the hounds :p

I didn't wan't to start a whole bunch of controversy because it has already been beat to death. Just the way that many size brass, and for those just starting out with standard dies and not a lot of experience.

A beginner doesn't need a special die or all the sophisticated loading equipment to load good ammo. Most of us started out with the basic tools and did fine.

As the reloader get more experience he can branch out/modify his method and learn the pros and cons of what he does.

If you notice in the video, he is actually partially full length sizing and neck sizing at the same time to get the fit he wants with standard dies.

It's just a video that could help someone.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.