Primer Pocket Uniforming

I have never uniformed pockets and would like to get geared up for it. Would be doing mostly Large Rifle pockets and need advice on good tools to buy for this operation.

Also, I shoot Lapua brass when caliber permits and am wondering if this is a needed step for this wonderful brass. I also shoot Norma in a 6.5x280 Ackley, how good are Norma pockets? I shoot a lot of Win brass if I can buy nothing better, and think this step could benefit this brass the most?

I know nothing about this step as I have never done it, so any information would be helpful.

Some may tell you it doesn't help to uniform the primer pockets but I have seen a difference since I started. I use a lyman uniformer for the pocket which has a preset stop collar to sammi specs and I also use a flash hole uniformer to make sure the flash holes are all the same size. There are several tools available to uniform the pockets and flash holes but I dont see how one can be any better than the other. These two steps add time to case prep but I believe it's worth it. The Norma brass is very nice but I have little experience with it. The winchester brass will probably benefit a good deal from the extra steps. I use some of their brass along with remington and have found most of the cases to be consistent with each other but usualy you get a good amount of brass out of the pockets when you use the tool I mentioned above and a little from the flash holes. The tools themselves will come to personal preference to brands and I'm unsure if anyone makes a power version to speed the process up. My accuracy improved on all my loads after I started using these steps. Don't get me wrong I didn't go from half inch to one hole groups but they went from the high side of .3 and .4 inch groups to the the high side of .2 and .3 inch groups and thats a good improvement in my book! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have used several uniformers and the one I like best is by RW Hart (800) 368-3656. They have it to fit in a cordless screwdriver. I use a B & D driver that uses the versapac batteries and you can use it to clean necks, turn cases for neck turning etc.

order the hart catalog and the sinclair intl catalog [email protected]

BH

i use rem brass,inside de-burring has to help once you see all the brass that comes out,pockets look punched,and have various flares inside you remove.i have a forster co-ax press that seats primers well,so i do that step too.not sure about high quality brass?

Zane,

I uniformed 3 times when forming Lapua 220 Russian into 6mm PPC before the brass settled down, i also uniformed my 222 Norma brass but only once. Most pockets cleaned up apart from a small percentage which cleaned up with a second cutting after initial firing of the new brass.

Centre Punch.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.