Primer pocket test forthcoming.

C-130 Dude

I'm getting ready to do a primer pocket test in the next week or so (weather permitting). A little different type test.

Purpose of test is to see if there is any difference between cases that have a .127 pocket and cases having a .130 pocket depth.

All primers will be seated .003 -.005 below case head. I am using -14, -15, and -16 LC 308 cases. All cases are full length sized with neck sized bushing using the RCBS Match Master dies. Sholder bump is
.002-.004. All cases trimmed to 2.005. Powder is IMR 4064, primers are CCI 34, and bullets are 175 SMK AND 168 SMK. 70 rounds each bullet weight. Powder charges will increase from 42.5 to max of 45.0 at .5gr increments. Bullet seated depth per Sierra reccomended depth. COAL is 2.805-2.810.These cases are new, never fired. Gun is a new just broke in Bergara HMR PRO

I'm curious to see differences (if any). Expecting overpressures at some point and primer issues also. Testing limits of applicability. We'll see.....

Will report back.

F-Class pro Keith Glasscock did a similar, actually only partially similar primer study on his YouTube channel "Winning in the Wind". His study was very narrow and explored the difference in primer heights and how deep they were seated in the pockets from not even bottomed out to .005 crushed in. He debunked a myth or two. The video Titled "To Crush or Not to Crush" is linked below.

F-Class pro Keith Glasscock did a similar, actually only partially similar primer study on his YouTube channel "Winning in the Wind". His study was very narrow and explored the difference in primer heights and how deep they were seated in the pockets from not even bottomed out to .005 crushed in. He debunked a myth or two. The video Titled "To Crush or Not to Crush" is linked below.

Yeah I saw it. In my case,all primers are the same height. I thought I would cover it from the angle of not how much crush they have vs how deep the case pockets were. I am seating all primers at the same depth regargless of actual crush achieved. I anticipate issues. But i want to see myself. Might be the same result but I will find out. Stay tuned....

You may be able to find a difference.

Because of slight length of pocket depths and primer depth, I am a firm believer of seating to bottom of pocket
plus adding one or two thousand of crush. With the indicator attached to my K&M hand primer, I've had excellent results.

We may find you discovering a new method. Let us know.

Yeah I saw it. In my case,all primers are the same height. I thought I would cover it from the angle of not how much crush they have vs how deep the case pockets were. I am seating all primers at the same depth regargless of actual crush achieved. I anticipate issues. But i want to see myself. Might be the same result but I will find out. Stay tuned....
I m definitely interested in what you find out, so far Glasscock has shown me I don't need to drop $700 on a new primal rights primer seater. Hope you do t reverse it.😆

You may be able to find a difference.

Because of slight length of pocket depths and primer depth, I am a firm believer of seating to bottom of pocket
plus adding one or two thousand of crush. With the indicator attached to my K&M hand primer, I've had excellent results.

We may find you discovering a new method. Let us know.
I (we) will see.

I'm getting ready to do a primer pocket test in the next week or so (weather permitting). A little different type test.

Purpose of test is to see if there is any difference between cases that have a .127 pocket and cases having a .130 pocket depth.

All primers will be seated .003 -.005 below case head. I am using -14, -15, and -16 LC 308 cases. All cases are full length sized with neck sized bushing using the RCBS Match Master dies. Sholder bump is
.002-.004. All cases trimmed to 2.005. Powder is IMR 4064, primers are CCI 34, and bullets are 175 SMK AND 168 SMK. 70 rounds each bullet weight. Powder charges will increase from 42.5 to max of 45.0 at .5gr increments. Bullet seated depth per Sierra reccomended depth. COAL is 2.805-2.810.These cases are new, never fired. Gun is a new just broke in Bergara HMR PRO

I'm curious to see differences (if any). Expecting overpressures at some point and primer issues also. Testing limits of applicability. We'll see.....

Will report back.
Hope all is well with you and your family!
What Primer Tool are you using to seat the primers and be able to measure accurately?

What Primer Tool are you using to seat the primers and be able

What Primer Tool are you using to seat the primers and be able to measure accurately?
I'm using a RCBS Auto Prime modified with a Hollands Perfect Primer adapter tool to put them in and an Accuracy One Precision Primer Gauge to measure seated depth. I've been using them for a while now and produces pretty good results. Repeatability is good.

Saw this. But the one thing I going to do different is I'm using two primer pocket depths. One batch at .127 and one at .130. And I'm using 2 different bullets. The SMK 175 and 168. He didn't do that. In every case, the primers will touch the bottom. Don't want errant misfires mucking up the test. I don't know if it's significant. I'll see. As they say, curiously killed the cat.