Primer difference

arawls88

May a trade on here a year or so. Finally got around to shooting the gun with his reloads and it seems to be a good recipe. Only difference for me is I don't have but around 150 of his brand primer(cci 250). What I do have though is around 6-7k win mag primers and about 1k federal 215M. Would I notice any noticeable difference in yalls opinion??

I would consider a possibility that different primers will either be better for you, or worse.
It probably won't be the same.

I suspect the abstract in this comes down to striking -that is optimum, or not, for any particular primer.
If so then striking could be optimized for a chosen primer.
Just a theory

I have had a significant increase or reduction of accuracy in a given load by only switching primers. Sometimes accuracy remains the same but I get better or worse ES/SDs and other times the ES/SD remains the same but accuracy changes. Not all primers react to a given powder or load density combo equally. Experimentation here is your best friend.

I'll probably just use the rest of my cci primers, and that will last me several years at that. I'll keep my eye peeled for some to in stock in the mean time. Thanks guys

If my testing correlates anything, it is this, not all primers have the same brisance (heat).
The hottest primer on the market is the Winchester, either standard or magnum, next is Federal, then CCI and lastly Remington is the coldest.
Changing from CCI to either Federal or Winchester is going to be hotter, so ES/SD WILL change. However, often there is little change in actual velocity, but the start pressure increases and the load tightens, then it can go the other way and it falls apart……your guess is a a good as mine, test and re-test.

Cheers.

If my testing correlates anything, it is this, not all primers have the same brisance (heat).
The hottest primer on the market is the Winchester, either standard or magnum, next is Federal, then CCI and lastly Remington is the coldest.
Changing from CCI to either Federal or Winchester is going to be hotter, so ES/SD WILL change. However, often there is little change in actual velocity, but the start pressure increases and the load tightens, then it can go the other way and it falls apart……your guess is a a good as mine, test and re-test.

Cheers.
Yea I'm just 1000 miles from my labradar so that's why I'm just going to keep using the cci primers for now and maybe next year I'll remember to bring it along.

About a century ago, I started reloading shot shells only. I let a gun store set me up. Not a wise move. Think my first book was a Lymans, and I started reading and realized a different primer could raise the pressure 1,000 psi with maybe a marginal increase in velocity. Since then, I use books and recipes to narrow down the likely results on using a different primer. As someone else stated, it is a heat issue. But powder also reacts differently to that heat too. Not always in a good way. I also do handgun ammo, a lot in 45 ACP. Have a friend who is just getting started who made a near fatal assumption. A 120 grain copper bullet called for 10.2 grains of powder to start. He assumed a 230 grain bullet would need more powder. That is backwards. A heavier bullet is slower to move and pressure builds faster. Reloading is kind of a disease. In a good way, sort of.

Years ago we all had our favorite recipes and we went into the local gun shop and bought whatever we thought was needed for our best loads. Now, you buy whatever you are able to find, like it or not. I have about 5000 of various primers but was getting low on large rifle mag primers for my 338 LM. You could not find them anywhere unless you where willing to take out a 2nd mortgage and buy from those folks who do not mind taking advantage of others in hard times. I loaded up with about a dozen different primers rounds (5 rounds for each primer) for my 338. LM and my 6.5-284 using different brands and types of primers including large pistol primers, both mag and non-mag primers. All speeds were taken after I heated up the barrel. On the 338LM I had deviations of around 35 FPS but all of the rounds (285gr SMK) were at about 2825 FPS. On the 6.5-284, (140 gr Nosler RDF) I also had about the same deviation with all rounds at about 2965 FPS. While some primers were a slight bit closer in their speeds than others, none of them made as much difference as you found shooting a cold barrel as opposed to a warm barrel. My conclusion was that regardless of how big or small the spark was that lit the powder, when it started to burn, it burned at the speed it was designed to burn. Pray for the day the GOP takes over again and we can go back to being picky in what we use.

Sometimes you will notice a difference in ES or velocity, but sometimes you don't. I back off a grain of powder and load them up.
I did a test last year with a
6.5 PRC. Everything same except for primer. Used CCI BR4 on some and FED. 210 Match. The Feds had lower ES. Haven't tried in any other caliber/round though. My buddy Rhett Crider told he did with Fed. Also. Why I tried it. 😉

Years ago we all had our favorite recipes and we went into the local gun shop and bought whatever we thought was needed for our best loads. Now, you buy whatever you are able to find, like it or not. I have about 5000 of various primers but was getting low on large rifle mag primers for my 338 LM. You could not find them anywhere unless you where willing to take out a 2nd mortgage and buy from those folks who do not mind taking advantage of others in hard times. I loaded up with about a dozen different primers rounds (5 rounds for each primer) for my 338. LM and my 6.5-284 using different brands and types of primers including large pistol primers, both mag and non-mag primers. All speeds were taken after I heated up the barrel. On the 338LM I had deviations of around 35 FPS but all of the rounds (285gr SMK) were at about 2825 FPS. On the 6.5-284, (140 gr Nosler RDF) I also had about the same deviation with all rounds at about 2965 FPS. While some primers were a slight bit closer in their speeds than others, none of them made as much difference as you found shooting a cold barrel as opposed to a warm barrel. My conclusion was that regardless of how big or small the spark was that lit the powder, when it started to burn, it burned at the speed it was designed to burn. Pray for the day the GOP takes over again and we can go back to being picky in what we use.
How do you compute the cylinder pressure?