Prime male.

Running a defiance action, bartlein 1-7" 22" sendero taper barrel. 5-25 Premier scope, jewell trigger, McMillan A5 adj sniper fill. The load is the same load we used to win the Rifleman's Team Challenge "tac class". 77 grain bullet 2950 max speed. I am running this at 2900fps. This is my main match gun, I have 3 bolts and run a .223, a .260AI, and a 7-300 WSM off of the same platform. This was also the same gun that took a 3rd at the Nightforce ELR match in Wyoming this summer. 260 AI, 142 SMK at 2970 fps. I also took this coyote at 775 last night with the .223
20191205_151122.jpg

I saw the title of this thread and opened it expecting to see a picture of myself:D! Nice looking yote, I think that pelt will sell well.

Running a defiance action, bartlein 1-7" 22" sendero taper barrel. 5-25 Premier scope, jewell trigger, McMillan A5 adj sniper fill. The load is the same load we used to win the Rifleman's Team Challenge "tac class". 77 grain bullet 2950 max speed. I am running this at 2900fps. This is my main match gun, I have 3 bolts and run a .223, a .260AI, and a 7-300 WSM off of the same platform. This was also the same gun that took a 3rd at the Nightforce ELR match in Wyoming this summer. 260 AI, 142 SMK at 2970 fps. I also took this coyote at 775 last night with the .223View attachment 161524

Some fine shooting for sure,what type of energy is that round generating at the distance you're shooting,since i'm a novice at those ranges.

Not sure what the energy is at that range, will have to look at the kestrel. My experience with this bullet has been that it doesnt expand much if at all. Most have ran 30+ yards after being hit, and had a 1/2" exit hole. This one in particular tipped over, tensed up, relaxed, and died.

Not sure what the energy is at that range, will have to look at the kestrel. My experience with this bullet has been that it doesnt expand much if at all. Most have ran 30+ yards after being hit, and had a 1/2" exit hole. This one in particular tipped over, tensed up, relaxed, and died.
ThX,just wondering ,that range would be out of my league with what i have at my disposal.My longest shot on a coyote was with the 204 running a Blitz King 39 grain @3857 fps and a 0.287 bc.551 yards lasered with a X450 Halo rangefinder.At the range he was hit i was packing about 400 lbs of energy and realizing a 28 in inch trajectory loss at 500 yards had to come up and adjust 5.5 moa. Not bad for a little pill,however conditions were almost perfect.He was hit straight through the heart and when i walked up to him he was frozen like this.My zero was @ 200 yards.

Attachments

• frozen.jpg
    frozen.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Both of these were shot with 5mph or less wind, .7 mils of wind hold. As far as energy on target goes,I think if you hit them in the heart/lungs it doesnt matter. I shot a porcupine with a 75 ELD at 910 yards, and that also worked. I dont use the ELD for the fact it blows large holes in coyotes. As far as killing ability, I would give the nod to the ELD. The RDF was shot all year in the tac-class and has been super predictable. The worst we finished against the open class was a 6th place,and the best being a 4th.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.