Pressure signs not showing at Max load

A friend of mine gave me a box of Barnes 127 Vor-Tex bullets today. We went out to his 250 yard range to try them out. Needless to say in ditching the 140 grain LR Accubonds and switching to Barnes. First 5 shot group off the bench. I know That's not a benchrest group but it's enough to know I want to change.

That flier must have been the Hagan...:)

There is not 1 hunter in 1000 who is competent to make a 500 yard shot on big game. 1st, too may variables. 2nd it's not hunting, it's long range shooting using live targets. 3rd Unless you are in a wheelchair, you can always get closer. The Terminal energy of a 6.5 CM @ 500 yds is way below Rule 1al big game standards. Out here in WYO, we see the results of people who think technology can solve all problems. But, *** wolves have to eat too and a 3 legged Elk is far easier to run down.
That is a pretty bold statement on a site called Long Range Hunting.

SO why are you scared of discussing hunting Rule 1s ?
Reason being is each individual is responsible for his or her own actions. Taking a shot at 500+ yards is legal and safe provided you have positively identified your target as a safe and legal target and what is beyond. Each individual must realize their own and their equipment's limitations and staying within them before taking a shot.
I've been hunting almost as long. I'm not certain but I bet you never stalked an animal for 6 1/2 hours and couldn't get any closer than 450 yards?! Light fading, last afternoon, accurate rifle, perfect conditions and a solid rest. That 4x4 mulie is now on my wall from one well placed shot from my 270.

hmm just like facebook, we have censors.
The OPs questions have all been addressed and I was done commenting until I saw this.
Yes Facebook has been censoring conservative views. They have a bunch of libs writing their "algorithims" and they continue to block posts that don't meet their leftist bag of lies.
That is another reason not for hunters to squabble "ethics" online. Everything we say online can and is being critiqued by the left.
Self censoring here is good for all hunters and gun owners. Our opinions on certain things may differ but we cannot give any extra "fuel" to the ones trying to destroy the constitution and our great nation.

Boy this thread went south real quick.
Sorry moose,
Things got a little side-tracked & derailed.

Forgot that you were going to shoot over the chrono this weekend. Hopefully your velocity is where you want to be and your groups stay good.
Try also to get a few before & after case head pictures.
Will wait to hear results.
Good luck

Yes, you do in fact have pressure signs on that brass. I see an obvious ejector mark (starts between the two oo's on "creedmoor" and ends between creedmoor and hornady) and cratered primer. I'll post your picture bigger. Don't load any hotter, your at/over max. View attachment 145057
I found swiping the head across extremely fine (I used 1000 grit) sandpaper exposes ejector marks you may not see. Just one swipe to minimize material removal of the head....
Edited to add my photo of an overpressured case. Primer pocket growth and ejector. Swiped with 1000 grit paper...

Attachments

• 20190817_121521.jpg
    20190817_121521.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reason being is each individual is responsible for his or her own actions. Taking a shot at 500+ yards is legal and safe provided you have positively identified your target as a safe and legal target and what is beyond. Each individual must realize their own and their equipment's limitations and staying within them before taking a shot.
I've been hunting almost as long. I'm not certain but I bet you never stalked an animal for 6 1/2 hours and couldn't get any closer than 450 yards?! Light fading, last afternoon, accurate rifle, perfect conditions and a solid rest. That 4x4 mulie is now on my wall from one well placed shot from my 270.
Very well put brother.
Boy this thread went south real quick.
I apologize also brother. Some of these mortals around here don't understand that 500 yds is sling shot range! Lol

We can see if the Mods will make another sub-forum called Short Range Hunting. Or you could prolly go play on another forum. Who would of thought people shoot at animals over 500 yds on a Long Range Hunting Forum.

No need for the sarcasm Remmy
Some people have a bit of respect for long range hunting than others who THINK they can
And what is prolly..... probably !!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.