Pressure signs not showing at Max load

OLd Blue Dawg wrote "There is not 1 hunter in 1000 who is competent to make a 500 yard shot on big game. "

And there are thousands of hunters for every one hunter on this site.

There is not 1 hunter in 1000 who is competent to make a 500 yard shot on big game.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that mostly, you should strive to get closer and lessen the margin of error. But, that is not always possible. It is possible to take into accounts, all the variables, and make a good shot. And, I agree that there are a lot of people, who simply use game as targets, rather than hunt them.

I also have two 7mm-08s. And I agree it will do everything the 6.5 will do plus some. But I'm a southpaw and no one makes a production long range set up in that chambering and I don't have the $$ to go custom. That's why I ordered a Bergara B-14 HMR in the 6.5CM. I could have got it in .308 but that cartridge does not impress me. I currently have an AR-10 in it and had a few other rifles chambered in it.
Besides, the 6.5 is just magical. Don't you read the marketing hype? LOL

OLd Blue Dawg wrote "There is not 1 hunter in 1000 who is competent to make a 500 yard shot on big game. "

And there are thousands of hunters for every one hunter on this site.
With the rifle I once had (a std Rem 700 BDL in 270 win) I know I could make a 500 yard shot. That rifle shot 0.5 MOA all day long. I'd taken several deer and antelope in the 300-400 yard range and one mulie buck at close to 450. But conditions have to be right for me to attempt it. I could still kick my butt for selling that rifle.

remember when David Tubb won the silhouette championship, with a box stock Remington 7mm08. Got my attention enough, that I went out and bought one, then another, and another.........haha I love my 7mm08. Yall can keep the 6.5 CM.
Actually friend, I wouldn't push the 7-08 much past 500 yards on big game either. A man's got to know his (and his equipment's) limitations.

With the rifle I once had (a std Rem 700 BDL in 270 win) I know I could make a 500 yard shot. That rifle shot 0.5 MOA all day long. I'd taken several deer and antelope in the 300-400 yard range and one mulie buck at close to 450. But conditions have to be right for me to attempt it. I could still kick my butt for selling that rifle.
Clem I have a 270 Browning Bar that I wouldn't sell for nothing. Very accurate and ammo is everywhere. I think everyone who hunts should have either a 270 or 3006 in there gun safe.

A friend of mine gave me a box of Barnes 127 Vor-Tex bullets today. We went out to his 250 yard range to try them out. Needless to say in ditching the 140 grain LR Accubonds and switching to Barnes. First 5 shot group off the bench. I know That's not a benchrest group but it's enough to know I want to change.

Attachments

• E63A7C20-D779-42FC-A4B6-2701093F7AC0.jpeg
    E63A7C20-D779-42FC-A4B6-2701093F7AC0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 80
Actually friend, I wouldn't push the 7-08 much past 500 yards on big game either. A man's got to know his (and his equipment's) limitations.
I know my limitations with this rifle. I trust it to 500. Past that, it would have to be optimum conditions, or shoot a heavier bullet. I think the 6.5 should be good to 500, in the right person's hands. Yeah, I know the 6.5 is magical. Read it all the time.

I'm gonna shut up as I've only been hunting big game for 61 years and obviously can't compete with folks who think shooting at a living animal at 500 yards or more is perfectly alright. I respect majestic animals too much to take any chance on a gust of wind, a step taken, an extra heartbeat (mine) or some defect in the ammo to cause the maiming and horrible death for the animal. We see the results every year after the hunting season when the "dudes" have gone home. "You can never get too close".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.